Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hughes Borehole
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:58 pm 

Anybody know where the Hughes Borehole is and what the story is on it? From what little bit I've read about it it sounds pretty interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:23 pm 

im not sure on that one. do you know its general location?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:26 pm 

heres what a google search found.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii-7pPtZilo ............. typical youtube commentary

http://www.scrip.pa-conservation.org/lchughes.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_bore_hole

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:37 pm 

It is very intersting, it is like a waste land there. The air smells like sulpher and the ground is crusted with AMD along with green and blue and purple stuff. I can post gps cords and a map of where it is tommorow. If you get out that way itd be worthwhile to see the eureka 40 mine site too. http://www.coalcampusa.com/westpa/windb ... /scalp.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:52 pm 

That's the mine I saw on the news when they were covering the Quecreek ordeal. I watched that like a hawk day and night. I was wondering how the reporter just happened to come across a bunch of motors and cars and track, even an entrance.

So is the 40 open to the public as sort of a self-guided walk and no one cares if you're there, or is it just a site no one cleaned up and everyone just leaves alone? All that stuff just sitting there, any plans for restoration?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:16 pm 

Are you referring to Eureka 40. . . complicated story if this is the mine you are talking about. Our group is tied in with a little & have a good plan to get people motivated again. I will try to answer any questions on this site.

Post subject: Hughes Borehole
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:54 pm 

I think it's near Portage in western PA. I checked out Google and there isn't a whole lot of info but what little bit I did get to read was very interesting. GPS coordinates would be awesome. Once I do find this place I plan on going on out for a visit and Eureka 40 sounds interesting too... Where is that at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:08 pm 

Eureka 40 is located in windber. you can look it up on patheoldminer.com, or coalcampusa.com . ill have gps cords for the hughs later tonight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:23 pm 

Lat long for the eureka no 40 is N 40 15 09.89 W 78 50 29.61

To get to the site from US Rt 219 take PA rt 56 east to windber- take the main street excit off of 56. Follow main street back across 56 to richland ave. You should be able to see the powerhouse or tipple my then. You can park at the powerhouse and walk in or park at the little overlook on main street and walk in. The overlook is above the mine portals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:55 pm 

Thanks for the directions and cords. I'll have to print this out and put it in my PA travel folder. Probably won't get way out there this year but if I get a chance to get out to East Broadt Top and the trolley museum next year, I'll take the extra half-day and go have a look-see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:31 pm 

Out near east broad top there are some coal mines. hard to find tho. this website- coalcampusa.com-has them all on it documented by coalfield. Also the old east broad top yards in Mt. Union are something to see, there are tons of old rail/coal cars just sitting in the woods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:09 pm 

I heard about the yards, even stayed in Mt. Union during one of my visits. But never got there, don't know the area. I also heard about all the mines there, and I'd love to spend a day looking for some of them. Always saying this and it never happens, but "maybe next year."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:15 am 

The is a pretty cool hike around there called 1000 steps. Its 1000 steps built up the side of JAcks Mountain for sand miners to use. If you search it on gogle youll find it. Also in Rockhill which is around there somewhere there is a cool mine arnd ventilation fan. Its behind the OLD coal mining museum and not the NEW one. The old one is a theatre and its in the woods behind it.