Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MINING GEAR WANTED.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:52 pm 

Hello out there, I am looking for some mining supplies as I am going back down in the Uk soon, when I move back across the pond.I am up in s. Ontario at momment so no mining supply stores near me!
Im looking for a store that does mail order, on the web.
I was looking for the really good kneepads that had the extra long gaurds,-im going to need them, and also the really heavy denim bibs with the zippered breast pockets[ to keep the dust out my chew!]for the surface work.And probably a bit of other stuff too.
If it all goes to plan I start face training november, old type mine 3ft at heighest 18 inch at lowest! hand loading onto conveyor.
cheers Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:29 pm 

Might want to check with United Central for the knee pads. The best ones if you could get used to them were the german ones but, I don't know where you could get some of those. As far as hard hats goes MSA still makes the comfo cap, and bullard makes one also, If your like me and like to rock it oldschool then ebay has alot of low vien comfo caps on there. United Central has alot of mining supplies, belts, hats, boots, everything you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:32 pm 

Cheers Coalfire, I looked online for United central but couldnt find an internet catalouge for them, is it on the site somewhere and Im just missing it?
If I cant find email, guess I can phone if I ever get finished work at a sensible time!
The low vein hat I already have, I liked the look of them, when I saw them in use down your way, I think it will be great for such low seams, if the Uk health and saftey let me wear it to work, the Uk miners hats are much taller heavier and the even the MSA comfo caps are more comfortable than them.
Anyone else out there got any suggestions let me know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:12 pm 

theres a pair of knee pads that i really like... i forget what they're called though. i have to look.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:41 am 

I believe we buy all our gear at Fairmont Supply our distribution center is Washington Pa but they are all over. Very friendly phone service not sure what is online but they have everything. We bought our multi gas detectors, mining boots (Matterhorn tiger tips) , jackets & much more from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:23 pm 

thanks lads, I'll give them a phone as no one has an online store that I can find.Anyone got even a brand name for the heavy denim bibs with the zippered breast pocket?Up here in Canada its duck bibs which arent as good in my opinion.
Hell if one of you boys'd be willing Id even paypal you to get me some, anyone willing?
still maybee a month or 2 off moving back and starting down the mine but when I do I'll put some photos on site when I get a chance, its air pick, hand loading in low coal.
cheers again Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:27 pm 

ill keep an eye out.. seems carhardtt should make something like that..or dickies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:15 pm 

Cheers for keeping an eye open for me, Carhartt make bibs in denim, light easy ripped ones, wouldnt last 5 mins down the mines!
And no one seems to sell the ones I got down Arkansas, Kentucky, Pa way which were really heavy cotton and had breast pocket with a zipper closing.
Any of you boys who have the same dirty habit as me of chewing redman all shift know it helps keep your chew nicer to have the pocket coal dust proof.
All the bibs I can find its open top pockets which arent practical undergound!

As I said Id be grateful if anyone can find me good heavy tough, bibs!
Cheers Lads, Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:23 pm 

i wear black military bdu's. made of all nylon so they dry super fast and are extremely durable. i have 4 pairs of them and one im just about to retire. gotta watch drying them in the washer though, after a few runs the plastic buttons break down and break, usually when you dont want them to and you end up holding your pants up with blasting wire. that stuff is like duck tape in the mines, you use it for everything! but anyways, thats what i wear and they have worked for me for years, havent found anything better yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:04 pm 

Big ben and dickies both make decent bibs. I can get about three months out of a set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:33 pm 

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... cial=false

These I saw at a tractor supply store the other day and happened to notice the desired zippered front pocket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:51 pm 

UGMiner Banks wrote:
theres a pair of knee pads that i really like... i forget what they're called though. i have to look.....

Did this question ever get an answer?

Assuming we every hear from Banks again.

Is he MIA or just that busy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:25 am 

he is in alaska till the middle of the month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

I end up buying a lot of gear on EBay as EBay seems to have everything you'd ever want..

Miner Greg