Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: St. Nick structurally sound?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:21 pm 

Well since I cant drive yet(unfortunatly) i need my dad to take me to old mine sites. He took me to the ST. Nick last febraury but we didnt go in. He is very worried about the safety issue of going in such as- he thinks we will fall through floors, things will collapse etc etc. Is this true or is it safe to go in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:53 pm 

oh yea st nick is real structurally sound........ however thats not what id be worried about. reading is slapping everyone with trespass fines anywhere on their land since they are having alot of theft problems. you cant even call and get permission. better bet is go to huber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:07 pm 

There are bad stairs at the end of the breaker where the conveyor goes in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:38 pm 

not just trespassing at the st nick but anywhere because you have to understand that in that area Reading Anthracite and the Rich (that really is their name) family who owns it owns EVERYTHING down there, so you may not even know you are tresspassing until you are hit with a citation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:43 pm 

thats alot different than last time, the guard just waved at us. Also a nice guy who lived in the last two company houses across the street told us stories about it. But you say you cant even get permission?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:54 pm 

nope, give reading a call and see how you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm 

thats a real shame, by the way what is that half buried slope across from the breaker in the charcoal field? was that part of north mahanoy? same for the flooded slope?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:57 pm 

im not sure, there was the old old st nick colliery there, the knickenbocker, north mahanoy, and maple hill. there may have been one more too that were on the grounds before st nick. maple hill was still running when st nick was built though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

I don't remember any issues around the structure of St. Nick. That breaker is in relatively good condition. Huber on the other hand, there are many issues there which I would be concerned about. Many of the metal steps have cracks, are missing, or are about to go. The conveyor outside, while some of the wood was sorta repaired on the walk way, I would not advise anyone to walk up the walkway. You really would have to look at it from below to understand why I am saying this. All that wood should be repaired as you have lots of old coal dust on top of questionable boards. The conveyor itself is probably safe, but you really can't walk up it easily as there are obstacles that prevent you from walking it the whole way.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:43 pm 

i wouldn't worry about the building falling down on top of you :P but watch where you step... like anything abandoned..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:17 am 

where is the "half buried slope across from the st nick" is that across the street near the company houses? I plan on going down there next week and if i can get a pic of it from the street (so i dont incur a trespassing citation :D ) that would be cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:28 am 

no, the half buried slope is across from the st nick on the other side, deep into reading property. However the flooded slope/ventlation shaft? is across from the company houses, however there located in a small grove of trees and you have to get pretty close to see them. Also i guess this St. Nick no tresspassing means that any ugm tours will be bypassing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:23 pm 

the slope full of water is close to the bridge. on the corner of 54 and the bridge. the half buried slope as he mentioned is on the other side, near where the refuse conveyor came out before it was removed. as for ugm tours, we will not be going to the st nick for awhile for a few reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:52 pm 

ok, any idea of what the tours might cover yet? just wondering

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:57 pm 

well not sure yet. im not sure when we are going to do another one. we are working 3 saturdays a month at the active mine then i work the last one a month at an underground pump room so saturdays are out and thats pretty much when people wanted to do tours. im not sure how sundays are free yet with maintenance at the no.9 mine we will possibly be doing that day.