Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Draycott Colliery (UK) - Discussion
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:25 pm 

Edited by Miner Greg

These photos were posted up by Myles Standish

Quote:
In the 19th century there were two major colliery concerns in the Cheadle Coalfield, the Parkhall & Foxfield Collieries and New Haden Colliery. It is only the latter however, which concerns the parish of Draycott. In Robert Plant's "History of Cheadle" (1881), we come across the following quote regarding mining operations at Draycott:-
"About 27 years ago some pits were carried down on Mr. Vavasour's property at Draycott Cross, and beneath 180 feet of Bunters, the 'Dilhorne Two-yard' coal was met with at 285 feet from the surface. The position of these sinkings is about half-a-mile south of the line of introduction of the Bunters, and near a fault running north-east and south-east which brings in the overlying Keuper sandstone and marls. In 1856 a boring was made near Cresswell Mill nearly two miles south of the southern edge of the exposed coal measures, and carried down 600 feet in red marls, Keuper sandstone, and conglomerate, but abandoned before the latter beds were penetrated."
The pits Mr. Plant refers to at Draycott were in fact part of the New Haden complex which was actually called the Draycott collieries at one time. In all there were twelve shafts, two of those being in the Draycott parish and known at the time as 'Draycott Colliery'. These shafts were situated alongside the Cheadle Railway, just south-west of the southern portal of the tunnel.
Whilst certain shafts of the New Haden Colliery were destined to become a success, this was not to be with the shafts at Draycott. Early trial sinkings which date back to 1853, (the shafts described by Plant), claimed to have reached 'Two-yard' or 'Dilhorne' coal at 285 feet. The two shafts were eventually sunk but local rumours have it that no coal was ever actually drawn from them, the sinkers being plagued by sandstone, and that Messers Offer and Dickinson, (the main promoters), lost £30,000 between them on the shafts at Draycott. Whatever was the case, in 1944 the Staffordshire Potteries Water Board utilised the old shafts as bore holes for water storage. One of them is still used for that purpose today, whilst the other is capped with concrete.

To view photos click here:

http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... hp?t=19863

---------

great photos! i was always what was left of the mines from over across the pond! thanks for sharing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:55 pm 

OOOOPs, not a good start to the forum, can someone please put this and "Mines of Horwich" into the correct forum please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:00 pm 

yea its all good, ill move it over. we keep photos seperate usually so they stay in order of when they were posted. otherwise everytime you respond it will bring the whole picture topic back to the top. for discussion this is good, but for photos it gets them all out of order. you can start a discussion for UK mines if you would like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:03 pm 

Well I am ready to go, count me in :D

Great shots guys VERY impressed.

I looked at a couple of website on abandoned mines in Europe a while back & you definatelty have some great mines to check out - - - hands down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:53 am 

Chris, when you take your first anniversary trip, you can go there and spring for all of us to come along.

:mrgreen:

~Shana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:11 pm 

LOL good one cinderella lmao

Well there's Your problem - Mythbusters

Caution: anything posted above may not be real, I am imaginary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:02 pm 

sounds good to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Thanks a lot for posting these. Very interesting shots. They certainly seem to support these mines pretty well. Lots of bricks and steel archways.. Is this common for Coal Mines in the UK?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:07 pm 

Miner Greg wrote:
Thanks a lot for posting these. Very interesting shots. They certainly seem to support these mines pretty well. Lots of bricks and steel archways.. Is this common for Coal Mines in the UK?

Miner Greg

Hi Greg,

In places the brickwork was upto eight brick thick!! The original use of this tunnel was for trains and is about 1 mile long. Due to geological faults the ground is very unstable and a lot of movement is found, hence the reinforcement. It is a very interesting site. If any of you guys make it over to the UK and fined yourselves in the Manchester area, feel free to drop me a line and i will take you into some of the drift mines in this area.