Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Croton magnetic mine - Theall shaft
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:38 pm 

Hi guys,

I own the 1956 Geology of the Brewster Magnetite District of Southeastern NY. According to the Bedrock Geology Map, the Theall shaft is 400' northeast of the
Theall Portal, near the remaining steel shed. Help me out IronMiners, the shaft isn't difficult to access, but impossible to find (I have never found since my first visit to the mine in 1978. There used to be another opening to the left of the Theall Portal ( a opening about 6' wide and about 20' deep with party debris and a bed mattress ) before the present landowners bulldozed waste rock against the steel doors, but this is certainly not 400' from the audit. The state bulletin states that the shaft is 160' deep and had 4 levels. I know your group of experts is the only ones who can answer my question.

Thank You,
Mike Maz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Mike, perhaps this shaft was reclaimed during the initial backfilling of the Theall portal -- or as sometimes happens, it eroded itself shut and appears like a depression today. I never thought to look for another shaft but I wouldn't mind pinpointing the location. There are also mines nearby including an open adit. If you want to take a hike up there one of these weekends let me know. Although a lot of pristine industrial archeology has been destroyed, I believe there is still a lot more to be learned at the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:37 pm 

Mike,
Any weekend you would like to go is fine with me, My parents
live on the same property of the Somers Prospect Pit
( easy access from their back yard) and less than 1/4 mile
from the Clove Hill Mine in Butlerville, NY
There is also a former iron-ore processing plant that has been
converted to a private residence. All these sites are less than 1
mile from the Croton Magnetic Mine.

I'm am really interested in finding the Theall shaft of the
Croton Magnetic Mine. Your website is terrific and thanks
for your reply.

Looking forward to meeting you,
Mike Maz
mikemaz3000@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:43 am 

Mike M- ive been recently looking for the clover hill mine, is it flooded i couldnt find any trace of it in the area? was there any original features left in the old ore proccessing plant or was it gutted when converted into a house? there is a small adit up behind the indian restuarant which is now in a building that used to be owned by the mccollum family i think. the theal shaft was back filled in the late 90s and had a pipe sticking out of the ground that rusty water would pour out of but since the area was recently reclamed i dont know if this got disturbed or is stll there. i would like to take a trip up to this area again sometime i got alot of good info on it from the putnam county historical society

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks a lot for the offer Mike M. We probably should take you up on that offer as I would like to look above the area as well. Perhaps there is still more to see that we missed which wasn't reclaimed. While I never visited this mine before it was reclaimed, I though there was a shaft that was filled which you could see from inside of the mine. Is this correct Miner Mike or Miner CTMike? Could this be the shaft that Mike M is talking about?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:04 pm 

Mike maybe this is the shaft you are thinking of up at the croton magnetic

http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... 1eff210db8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:50 pm 

Now that i can get back on (lost password) i was in the daisy lane /croton mine in about 1976 and my freind climbed up the top towards the middle of the mine on the surface and in the woods and climbed down into spot that was on a ledge inside the mine .My question is was that opening also coverd up? because that i remember was another way in and full of bats Dave