Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electrician vs Electronics Tech
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:19 pm 

How are the mines dealing with the newer equipment that has computer or microprocessor control.

There is a wide gap between the two trades. But the distinction can be tricky. Electricians typically work with high-current distribution type circuits and Electronics Tech typically work with lower-current type circuits.

Motors are typically Electricians. Circuit cards are typically Tech work.

Some if this new mine equipement is clearly in both worlds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:14 pm 

Well I can tell you this. Where I work we have some stuff going back into the 1930's (mostly substation equipment) all the way up into the present. It gets tricky with the new stuff. We can handle all the old stuff easy enough except for giving the Draglines that still have the old GE controls a electrical tune up. When it comes time for that we call in the GE enginer that was onsite when the 8700 was built. The 1450 had a cab fire in 2000 or 2001 and the controls were replaced with new Bucyrus Erie controls. When it comes time for in depth control work on the stuff that was modernized a BE tech comes in and handles it. We do try to do as much as we can ourselves and do change out certain cards ourselves when we know there bad. It's different here for sure. One day we will be working on the 66kv power lines or a 1930's westinghouse oil switch and the next day we will be up at the Breaker on the phone with some Tech troubleshooting some PLC problem.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:20 pm 

hey, i have a degree in electronics tech...... mike can i get a job at the great jeddo to work on the sophisticated equipment and work with you :?:

:roll:

Last edited by Chris on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:20 pm 

By the way, I still use a Simpson 260 and like it much more than a Digital Meter. My signature line on this forum pretty much sums up my attitude towards some of this new stuff. That quote was from the GE engineer that I was talking about before. 8) But a long story short is we do as much as we can ourselves. When we get in over our heads we call is somebody who knows what he is doing.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:25 pm 

I agree with you Mike. Most situations I still like my simpson. With low volt like doing 12v control volt or on CO line I prefer my Fluke. Well, I did till someone stole it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:28 pm 

HAHA it must be a mine thing because most of the mine electricians around here swear by the Simpson 260 or the Tripplet. Funny thing is I'm only 25 and learned on a digital meter. The first time I used a Simpson though I forgot all about the Fluke!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:30 pm 

in the ol aviation world, we cant use the old meters. i know youll be sad to hear this mike. well, i wont say cant, but they frown on it. the faa (airplane version of msha) says the meters and torque wrenches, or anything that measures anything for that matter need to be calibrated once a year. usually the older stuff isnt sensitive enough for them or fails calibration. which sucks cause i have a real cool old ohm meter in the tool box that i need to put away when the 3 letter agency's come around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:34 pm 

Who says you can't calibrate it? Tell the FAA to stick there fancy digital meters up there A#$! But in a mining situation chances are your going to be in the KV range more than the millivolt range so I guess our meters don't have to be so pansy sensitive :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:39 pm 

To answer the question above, the use of eletronics, I think has simplified troubleshooting. Most of the eletronic stuff will tell you what is wrong with it or give some kind of code. If it doesn't than it may be a little harder to figure out but, remember most of the electronic parts are non-serviceable so, if they break buy a new one and most electronic parts are used in Control power so it makes it easy to figure out. I learned to trouble shoot shuttle cars with a micro processor in the tram system(firing package) and I remember the first time I opened the panel on a old contactor/resistor panel buggy. I couldn't have stuck my finger up my butt with a mirror and someone helping me without a electrical print. Sorry about that comment , old mining term. Just remember an Electricians best friend is his head, print and meter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:01 pm 

I agree the new stuff is usually a lot easier to troubleshoot. But what happens when you have say a ten year old piece of equipment. Lets say there is a board in there that is propriatary. Now lets say that piece of equipment breakes down and the problem is that board. You call the company up or the distrub. and they tell you that board is no longer made and you have too upgrade the controls on the machine to fix it. Now the downtime went from a day or two to two or three weeks untill you get all the new stuff installed, set up, and bugs worked out of it. Now if that had contactors,relays, and resistors it might take you the whole day to troubleshoot, plus you'll probably find other problems you didn't know about along the way, but you could probably fix the problem with a new set of contacts or a shunt and be on your merry way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:21 pm 

Chris,

I thought you had an A & P Ticket, ET also. I'm impressed.

But, I can't understand why a 260 can't be calibrated. Granted they will not have three digit precision, but I agree they are easier to use and read for some measurements.

Mike,

There is a place of the older type circuits. As a rule they are most robust and easier to troubleshoot.

The situation is much as I suspected the pure electronics is with the field techs from the builders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:35 pm 

I am with Chris. Being a cnc tech, I love electronics. Freq drives are sweet, And I.O. boards. But if it was not for older electrics there would be no electronics.

And I run all DIGITAL METERS.

Last edited by O.V.C.C. Mike on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:50 pm 

yep, et, a&p and as soon as the company sends me, an ia. got alot of friends with airplanes so when that day hits my pen will probably get worn out from free inspections :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

I guess that is also why some of us carry MSA Solaris and M40M gas meters and other people carry around Koehler Flame Safety lamps...

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:38 am 

ill stick with the safety lamp..... and the gas detector. in the active mine anyways.