Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: utah trip!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:44 am 

hey guys me and sofie are leaving for utah tommorrow in the jeep! we will be camping and seeing the country along the way, but the destination is southern utah. we will be flying back from salt lake city so the jeep will be put in storage there until the next adventure in the winter sometime. this the area we are going to be mainly
http://www.expeditionswest.com/adventur ... index.html

hopefully i will find some mines along the way, we will have all mining, rappelling and camping gear and the jeep was fully prepped last week for major off road use! if any one has any info on mines in utah please let me know!! -CT Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

Mike, keep us updated on your finds. We are in dire need of adding pictures of Utah mines to our mine repository. What you find out there could have a direct impact on where we decide to take our next mine vacation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:47 pm 

Yeah I was surprised that you weren't going all the way to AZ when I heard from you the other day but, having another state to add to our list would be awesome. I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip and seeing the pictures and videos that you took. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:54 pm 

hey guys i made it back alive, and as for utah mines, after a little talking with locals and poking around off road i came upon something of interest in a very remote and desolate area......

a string of 7 ore cars and a mine motor in front of a wide open timbered adit with extensive underground workings.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:44 pm 

:shock: photos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:30 am 

i command you to show us the pictures.

~the rev~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:58 am 

The suspense. It is so cool out there.

Photos - - Photos - - Photos - -

If you need to, email me I will put them up for you CT Mike.

Glad you had a great trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:54 am 

It's good to hear that you arrived back safe Mike. I would still like to visit you this month to hear about your entire Utah trip. From your last post sure sounds like you saw great things out there. Can't wait to see your pictures! Talk to you later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:54 pm 

yeah, right.. the only motor he saw was his own, the string of ore cars was actually sophie and all her german friends, and for the "extensive workings" ... well....

:wink:

How hard was it to find storage for the jeep out there? did you have something pre-arranged?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:21 pm 

ok ok the pictures are on sofies camera and i will to get them tommorow, so reverend please dont condemn me to hell yet! i will email them to pete as soon as i get them to post up!

and...... the other thing is that the mine with ore cars wasnt the only mine related thing we found :twisted:

missouri- back filled adit with lots of flint all around

colorado- ghost town.
the mine was in the distance and we could not get to it but it was huge. the buildings had mine related stuff stored inside and all over the place outside, ore car wheels and axles in one building, rails all over the place, drills etc.

colorado- came across a small wooden headframe by the side of the road, we could not get up to the mines in the mountains because of deep snow, but i bought $100 worth of books and maps to get to them inthe summer.

utah- abandoned metal head frame fairly new looking

utah- mines in the distance that we just didnt have time to visit because of 2 fuel pump failures that set us back many many hours

utah - active coal mine

the jeep is now in storage in salt lake city loaded with camping gear , mining gear spare parts tools sleeping bags red bull and rations in a cooler two jerry cans for extra fuel its ready to go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like another good find Mike! Glad you made it alright and its good to hear the Jeep made it down there in one piece! That is a long ride for pretty much an off road modified Jeep!

Sounds like we certainly have to make a return visit.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:49 pm 

I'm ready to go! Any body heard of Johnny Utah? So happy Mike that you and Sofie were able to see so much and more importantly fix the Jeep and put it to sleep until the next mission out there. I wonder what the price would be to rent a Jeep out there opposed to AZ? The flight out would be cheaper, much research must be done. Talk to you soon Mike :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately during the last mission to Arizona, we phoned every car rental company at Sky Harbor and no Jeep Wranglers were available. Initially we thought a mine mission to Arizona without a Wrangler was like entering a mine without your helmet. But we eventually settled on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and we were more than impressed with its off-road capabilities. It got us to and from Desoto and Silver Prince mines like slicing butter and there was more than enough room for our gear. At the time the only Wrangler rentals were from places that rent ONLY Wranglers. Our best quote for 5 days from these places was a whopping $1100!

I'm happy to say that this time around we can ride around in an "official" IronMiners Wrangler! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah an official IronMiners MRV (Mine Research Vehicle) is always preferred.. But the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a very nice truck off road. I've been considering buying another just for IM trips. Making it more off-road worthy, etc.

Mike, did you ever get those pictures ready?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:53 am 

since the jeep is in storage in salt lake city maybe we should choose some mines to check out on a return visit check this out

http://www.mojaveunderground.com/