Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coal Prices
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:19 pm 

stopped by the local coal yard today. they're getting $225 a ton over here in jersey shore, pa for anthracite from Jeddo.

anybody know what it's going for in other areas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:22 pm 

http://nepacrossroads.com/about4629.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:28 pm 

what's the price at the mine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:31 pm 

$100 / ton for mine run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:35 pm 

alot of people around here have gone to coal...local dealer is a month behind on orders for stoves....I went back to wood with oil back up after burning just oil for the last 15 years...lot of wood burners too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:38 pm 

all mines about that price?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:39 pm 

around my house in rural wyoming country, if you walk outside on cold nights you can smell the wood fires on the wind! it smells good

I want to get an anthracite / oil stove. Mike A, this would be a good place to post the guys name and number in Pine Grove that rebuilds them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:14 pm 

Most Anthracite is around 150.00 to 170.00 a ton at the Breaker. As far as used stokers goes here is a list of a couple of rebuilders:
Schmidt Equipment 570-868-5377
Anczarski Enterprises 570-462-0748
Morgan Oil 570-682-9978
Jack Ryan Plumbing 570-773-3704

The lead time now for a new stoker is close to a year. Two years ago you could have had one in a month or less just to give you a idea how much demand went up for Anthracite Heating Equipment. You can get a rebuilt unit pretty quick so there a good alternative.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:27 pm 

Mike, do you know what the price difference from rebuilt to new is? I remember the rebuilds are around $4000..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:05 pm 

If you shop around you could probably get a good rebuilt efm or keystoker for around 3,000. If your looking for a dual fuel boiler or furnace you could expect a few hundred extra. A new keystoker K6 is close to 5,000 and a new EFM is probably about 7 to 8000. I don't know what the Axeman Andersons are going for or the Harmon boilers, probably some where between the EFM and the Keystoker. It is a lot of money for a boiler but they all last a lifetime and there all Handmade.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Out of curiosity, does anyone who heats their house with coal know how long does each ton of coal last you in the winter? If you have a figure, what size house? I'd be curious how cost effective it is compared to like oil for example..

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:07 pm 

Greg,

The quick answer is it much cheaper. Convenience is what you are paying for with Gas or Oil.

Here is a website that makes the comparisons at different prices.

http://www.alternateheatingsystems.com/fuel_source_alternatives.htm

Check around here and the power plants are paying on the order of $47 a ton delivered. But the price is adjusted for BTU and Sulfur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:10 pm 

Oil may be convenient, but it can be a disaster. I had my furnace serviced a few weeks ago, an annual thing you have to do. New nozzle, filters, cleaning, etc.

Couple days ago I noticed black smoke and called my service back. They came Friday, said the pevious tech did not set the air right, and my furnace was two days away from failure. It took 3 hrs to clean the unit.

Now, my entire basement is probably the equivalent of having a small house fire. There is oil soot on everything. You wipe it, it smears. My washer and dryer are covered. My shop is down there, as are all my trains. If they are not ruined, they are at least going to need extensive cleaning. And degreaser has been making more of a mess than anything else.

Not to mention Bella, my kitten, who went down to play Friday night and came back up with gray paws and underbelly. That was before I knew there was a soot problem down there. Kind of happened over night, one night she's clean the next she is covered.

Needless to say I'm not letting this one go. The first tech messed up and now half my house is ruined. So coal may be a bit of work , and you have to keep the chimney clean, but even if you get soot it's just soot. Not oil-covered soot that does not come off. Wish we had coal here, it's next to impossible to get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:30 pm 

A Anthracite fired stoker is the closest your going to come to oil or gas as far as conveniences goes. As far as fuel usage goes we burn 6 tons a year that gives us our heat and hot water year round. The only thing I do is throw two or three buckets of coal in the hopper every other day and switch ash cans twice a week and thats it. The only thing you have to do is once a year shut it down and clean the fly ash from the stove pipe and brush the inside of the fire box and it's good for another year. There is nothing to clean out of the chimney really if your burning anthracite. All the fly ash falls to the bottom of the chimney clean that out the same time you do the boiler and your golden. Nothing sticks to the chimney itself so you don't even have to brush it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:42 am 

There is always the alternative to buying it. There are still plenty of culm banks around that contain alot of coal. Its a throwback to the old days, but "pick the coal" and "crack" it on your own.