Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rosendale Mine
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:58 pm 

We should check out this cement mine sometime http://people.hofstra.edu/faculty/j_b_b ... age42.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

I've seen those pictures before. They have four differents pictures of the mine from that field trip. The mine is somewhat opened to the public, I am not sure if you have to pay to go in, of if you just go in any enjoy. It's probably worth checking out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:09 pm 

I hope this is OK to ask here – if not, feel free to PM me and/or just delete this.

I’ve been researching the natural cement mines near Rosendale, NY online and have some questions. Is the Widow Jane Mine accessible anytime or just when the Century House is open? Is it all original or have parts of it been paved/lit/converted to a tourist mine? How big is it? How safe is it and the other abandoned mines in the area – can novices with helmets and head lamps safely go in or is better equipment such as gas checkers also needed? I am getting a 10 million candlepower spotlight soon and a couple of friends really want to see/document these mines, so any suggestions as to how to safely do this would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:34 pm 

hey mike pm greg or mike hetman, they can hook you up. we were there a few months ago....... theres a few more things to see than whats right there :wink: maybe someday youll see when greg finally gets the photos up from our trip months ago :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Mike, I got your PM... Yeah I would be open for a trip, this would probably be a place to head up to. This mine is very safe, although I'm not sure how they react to people on the property when they are closed without already having permission.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:17 am 

i haven't been to rosendale in a long time....

can you boys keep me in mind and let me know when you're planning on going? there's a few things i haven't seen yet over that way, so i think its about time i get over there.

Miner John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:25 am 

John, have you been to the cement mines in kingston? there is some pretty crazy stuff up there too, i wouldnt mind doing another trip up there and deploying a ladder me and marc made to get up into that unexplored drift deep in the mine that we saw on our first trip up there, Greg do you still have the pictures of that drift?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Mike,

I think this is the picture you were looking for:

Yeah, this tunnel does look interesting. I have been wondering what could be up there. At first thought, it could have been a main entrance way in and out of the mine, as it doesn't follow the vein, but it could go into another vein if there is one out there. There would have been a raised bridge way that went up there, probably made from wood. However this has long fallen down. The ladder next to CT Mike unfortunately is in not much better shape and thus we couldn't climb it.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:45 pm 

yea me marc and jon , made a ladder to get up there with some, 14' 2x4s and 2x3 rungs that would be nailed together in the mine, we straped it to the roof of the jeep and brought it up there but instead decided to explore a differnt mine, but we still have the ladder ready to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:17 pm 

see what you guys have to understand is that CT Mike, the wildman that he is, is actually hanging off that horizontal ladder, and Juuustt about to push off with his feet and swing to that little bit of rock between the void / bottomless pit and that vertical shaft the camera is looking down! He almost made it....... poor mike.. he was a good mine researcher too...

greg did some awesome camera work from up above on that one, hanging from those chains and rusty steel rods...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Banks just posted up some great "teaser shots", check some of these here..

http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... hp?t=20254

Great job Banks, I look forward in seeing the rest of these!

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:01 pm 

Me, my brother and our friend climbed that ladder in miner gregs photo. My brother was the last to climb up and as he was climbing, a couple of the old wooden rungs broke. We then had to jump down. At the end of that tunnel though, it opened up to a big area, but we couldn't get to it. On a second trip to the mine, we saw the opening of the end of the tunnel , so we were now in the big area that we hadn't been able to get to before. It all connects together.
________
Ferrari monza history

Last edited by mattdclimber24 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

Welcome to the forum! We appreciate you stopping by. Where does this connect together? Is there another way into that area from this mine itself, or does this connect to an adjoining mine that you can access separately? I was originally speculating that this tunnel either goes into a different seam of Limestone or that it might be an alternate entrance into the mine. Is this section bigger than the section we were in? Any information would be great, thanks.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:57 pm 

Thanks. To answer your questions, I can't really remember where it connects. When I'm in there, I get so confused as to where I am or where I've been. All I know is that we entered the cave from that huge opening at the bottom of the hill(with the garden hose to get down), and we were walking around and saw above us that tunnel exit. If I remember correctly, we got up into it and on the other side, we saw the broken ladder and chains. But then again, we may have only noticed the tunnel exit, explored other areas, then came across the broken ladder entrance, and assumed the tunnel exit we had seen before connerted to this. Sorry, I really can't remember. I think the area is a bit smaller than the other area of the cave, but not really sure. My friends friend also found some additional small cave entrances to other sections of the mine, and had to reppel down a few different times to reach the bottom. They found some metal shafts, a pool of water with a ton of old bricks, and an area of water that they wanted to see how far it goes, but didn't have a raft. They ended up at a huge hole in the side of a cliff. My friend knows the locations now and he might take me sometime when he is in the area. I'll let you know about those locations when I find out. Sorry this is so long.
-Matt
________
Opiate Rehab Dicussion

Last edited by mattdclimber24 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:00 pm 

Miner Greg, I have a question. Do you have directions to the lawrencville mine in rosendale? Also. are there dangerous gases in these mines? Thanks
________
IOLITE VAPORIZER