It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alderley Edge Copper Mine (UK) - Discussion
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

To View Photos, please click here:

http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... hp?t=19950

Quote:
The West Mine is by far the biggest mine on Alderley Edge, the main workings being carried out at the same time as those at Wood Mine, 1857 - 1877, by the Alderley Edge Mining Company. It is probable that this area was mined previous to these dates as possible evidence of fire setting was found whilst excavating the opencast during 1858.

During the main working period from 1857 to 1877, West Mine was probably known as the Western Mine and was worked in two sections divided by a fault or Great Slide. Ore was extracted by a railway hauled from the surface using a rope. Ventilation was achieved by the use of two air shafts at the middle and far end of the mine.

These stopes are everywhere with drops of 50 ft, thankfully this one is well marked.

Some pretty good shots! Thanks for sharing! I love seeing photos of UK mines, they all seem to have interesting character. What kind of ore was extracted from this mine?

Interesting to see all of the bottles lined up.. Usually old miners bottles are tossed around and can be found in various parts of old mines.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:00 pm 

heres a few of me in alderley edge in the late 1970s...

both taken in the hough level....a drainage level that dewatered the copper mines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Cool vintage shots. Its always interesting looking at the old shots as well.

Looks like a pretty interesting mine..

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:10 pm 

See http://www.derbyscc.org.uk/alderley/ for info and photos of the Alderley Edge copper mines. Very interesting collection of mines. There is a band of copper containing sandstone outcropping in several places down through Cheshire and Shropshire. The SCMC controls access to Clive copper mine which is a substantial mine at the southern end of this chain. see http://shropshiremines.org.uk/misc/clive.htm for history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:10 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing the links Andy. I had visited DCC's website once before but now finally it is bookmarked, on here! I have always been impressed with how well the UK seems to cherish and appreciate their mining past compared to here. That was interesting to read that the group developed their interest by actually leasing the mine! Also interesting is their work in rebuilding an adit portal and refurbishing the mines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Miner Mike,

That is a good point.. It does appear that the mines over in UK appear to be well respected and are even maintained by the various groups who research the mines. We don't seem to have much of that going on here in the US as abandoned mines are generally frowned upon.

Thanks a lot for providing the links Andy. I've lately been looking at the various sites in the UK and in Europe, a lot of good sites out there.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:18 pm 

Here's a link to a site you may not have seen http://mti-minas-murcia.blogspot.com/ . It covers the area we visited in Spain, is in Spanish, but gives a very good idea of both what there is and how much of it there is. (I can provide several more links if you are interested). In Spain too, old mines are frowned upon and generally just abandoned to vandalism but appreciation of the historic value of this industrial archaeology is just beginning to become established there. However, under General Franco it actually used to be illegal to go underground!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:21 pm 

To illustrate some of the efforts to preserve European mining heritage see http://www.europamines.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

Andy, thanks again for sharing. Please feel free to post as many links and/or pictures as you would like. It is especially interesting to see intact headframes, ore cars, and machinery as much of this is removed for scrap or naturally deteriorates in our northeast US climate. Although mining technology was migrated to the US from Europe and particularly Cornwall, England, there seems to be a sense of architecture that is lost in translation. For instance, it is rare to see hoist houses and other mining related structures built purely of stone. Here in the NY, NJ area, structure were built mainly of wood leaving little but scant stonework and usually little else than iron or steel rods left that once supported headframes. A timbered adit is no longer seen and shaft cribbing near the surface can only be witnessed on rare occasion.

Part of our inspiration for going out west and visiting mines in Arizona and Utah is seeing what mines might have looked like under conditions whereby man and nature are less likely to destroy history. We do plan on visiting Europe in the next year or so but with so many leads in the US alone, we enough mines to keep us busy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 pm 

The Spanish climate must be much like Arizona so there are considerable surface remains near La Union, including:
29 wooden headframes
8 metal headframes
19 masonry headframes
10 steam engine chimneys
7 smelter chimneys
1 magazine chimney
13 roasting kilns
4 magazines

Here are some more links to the Sierra Minera:
http://www.fundacionsierraminera.org/portada.php
http://club.telepolis.com/minaloveremos/minerales.htm
http://www.strahlen.org/vp/locses.htm Look for La Union
http://www.mineu.org/uk/index.html

I regret I do not speak Spanish but the internet translation services (eg Google) make enough of an attempt for me to get the gist of it while still leaving much to be desired. I have around 1,000 photos of the area and will try to post just a few for you shortly.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:59 pm 

I put together 110 Sierra Minera photos to run as a slideshow for last year's club dinner, however at 138 Mb it makes no sense to email this. If you can give me a snail mail address I will send this on a CD and you can then decide just how much you feel it is sensible to put on ironminers. I will send a Word document with a brief description of each slide; if you want more detail, just ask!!

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Andy, I sent you my address and contact info by Private Message. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks a lot Andy! I can't wait to see these, we really appreciate your willingness to share these with our viewers..

Miner Greg