Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sunkin mine rd off RT 301?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:01 pm 

I was told recently that theres a road off of RT301 towards Cold Springs that is called sunkin mine rd i think and was told that this road is seasonal and blocked off most of the time good for quads but not cars ,anyway there are a number of mines along the road and one i heard goes down on a 45 degree angle have too go down a rope and then opens up too a big room ,then goes further but the guy told me he didnt have enough guts too go any farther i was wondering if anyone has heard about these mines , i am definitely hiking in as soon as the snow lets up Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Dave,

There are many mines in the area, but one mine specifically would be Sunk Mine.

http://www.ironminers.com/ironmines/sunk-mine-1.htm

They close the road off in the winter as it is a dirt road that isn't plowed in the winter. They won't do any improvements until at least spring on this road and thus they close it.

You would want to ensure that you have the appropriate gear for this mine as it isn't just a simple walk in mine. But it is a very historical and important mine to the area.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

The 45 degree incline sounds very much like you are describing the southwest stope entrance of the Sunk Mine (http://www.ironminers.com/ironmines/sunk-mine-2.htm). Once at the bottom the mine really opens up and you will see large wooden stulls suspended high against the stope walls (http://www.ironminers.com/ironmines/sunk-mine-5.htm). For an idea as to what to expect here, please visit the slideshow first. Of course we cannot suggest that anyone visit (the mine is in a restricted area) but if you must please take appropriate caution. A deep water-filled shaft must be crossed by boat to fully explore the stope. It is here that Thomas Edison (the inventor) once climbed down a rickety wooden ladder to access the lower portions of the mine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:09 pm 

What i forgot too mention is that this mine is close too ascarranna lake part of the road. If that makes sense thats what i was told ,anyway mike believe me i am not in a hurry too go down the mine especially with the things you and greg talk about ,unsafe floors ,air quality etc. but fun too walk up too even though walking in the woods yesterday dennytown road side of sunken m road i found many tailings or piles of rocks i think that was mined i imagined at one time,far into the trails will definitely go back in spring ,
Thanks for the feedback mike i am looking forward too meeting you guys one day maybe at one of your gatherings, picnics,for now i really enjoy your pictures,and information on this site, i will get more info on the spots next too oscaranna lake .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

The Sunk Mine is on a steep cliff face overlooking a meadow. It is said that this natural geologic terrain presented a "sunken" appearance and thus the mine acquired this name -- however it was also once known as the Stewart Mine. It is our hope that our slideshows will illustrate exactly what to expect in a mine so that people can decide for themselves whether it is worth it to enter. Dave, please keep in touch, we will have another IronMiners Barnyard Bash this year and visit a mine the following day. We may even have a few walking tours. We hope to meet you then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:13 pm 

Dave wrote:
What i forgot too mention is that this mine is close too ascarranna lake part of the road. If that makes sense thats what i was told ,anyway mike believe me i am not in a hurry too go down the mine especially with the things you and greg talk about ,unsafe floors ,air quality etc. but fun too walk up too even though walking in the woods yesterday dennytown road side of sunken m road i found many tailings or piles of rocks i think that was mined i imagined at one time,far into the trails will definitely go back in spring ,
Thanks for the feedback mike i am looking forward too meeting you guys one day maybe at one of your gatherings, picnics,for now i really enjoy your pictures,and information on this site, i will get more info on the spots next too oscaranna lake .

This is the Canada Mine across from the boat launch on Oscawanna Lake/Route 301 Putnam Valley, NY 10579. Go back to Pelton Pond Parking Lot and read the trail sign, The sign has information about iron mining in the 1930's???(wrong date), most likely the civil war era. The best time of year to view the Canada Mine is during the dry season when the western part of the mine is no longer submerged in green algae water. Continue past the Canada Mine (travel west toward Cold Spring) to the AT trail on the left where a gravel walkway enters the woods on the left side of the road. You be walking on an abandoned railway and will past the Colgrove Pits, The Gouveneur Pits, The Kemble Pits before hiking to The Sunk Mine Group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:58 pm 

Thanks mike m for the info thats probly the mine this guy was talking about seems he grew up on the lake and knows of the mines and water quality ,he does well pumps there on the lake ,i was doing a water tank in a guys house there and we began too talk funny his 15 min service call turned into 2 hours once i mentioned iron mines in the area, pretty neat what people know sometimes.
Also miner mike i will be looking forwards too a walk through if you do a mine thanks , in the future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:19 pm 

Dave in Carmel, NY
CT Mike in Monroe, CT
Miner Mine in Tuxedo, NY

If your looking for a quick field trip along Route 301 (upper Sunk Mine Group),
prospect pit near Pelton Pond Parking Lot
Canada Mine -plus additional iron mining trenches along Route 301
Shown on NY/NJ Trail Conference Map East Hudson Trails, Map #3
Colgrove Pits
Gouvenour Pits
Kemble Pits - All on the AT trail which diverges to a mine (Paul Forbes) railroad
Prospect pit on Paul Forbes Railroad
Prospect pit on Rockwald Rd. / Route 301
Prospect pit on Moffet Rd. / Route 9D Cold Spring
Prospect pits at the base of Mt. Taurus - shown on NY/NJ Trail Conference Map: East Hudson Highlands, Trail Map 2
Blunt's Quarry - south of Breakneck Point
West Point Foundry Cold Spring- 6 furnaces /Administration Bldg. restoration
West Point Foundry - Parrott Gun (actual small artillery cannon)
Todd Mine? -1880 Ox Yoke Rd. Garrison, NY near The Croft Mine
Continental Village - 3 Cannon Balls @ street sign Sprout Brook Rd.
Peekskill (Cortland Township) Emery Mines - near Colabaugh Pond
Manitou Copper Mine - Coppermine Rd. Garrison
Uranium mines - Camp Smith (don't actually the location) Military Base RESTRICTED AREA

I will be out & about this Saturday 1/31/09.

Hope too see you on the trails,
Mike Maz

Post subject: Re: Sunkin mine rd off RT 301?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:41 pm 

Is there an active link to the video on Sunken Mine?

I went there over the weekend and wanted to get more information.