Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ely Mine Trip
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:39 am 
Site Admin

What can I say, this past weekend was a blast! Miner Pete and Miner Barry introduced us to some truly impressive hard rock mines deep in the wilderness of Vermont. We strapped on our snowshoes, gaitors, and backpacks filled with mine gear and rations, and headed for the hills. After a few wipeouts into the 2-1/2 foot deep snow while hiking up the terrain, we discovered and explored the Ely and Pike Hill copper mines. FYI, getting up from a fall in 2-1/2 feet of snow is a challenge in of itself.

Words cannot give these mines justice. They contain immense workings with stopes, tunnels, artifacts, and last but not least challenges. We each had screws drilled into our boots for better traction on the ice and navigated over frozen underground waterfalls, and "lakes" that are essentially "bottomless" stopes. All in all we had a great time and it is my pleasure to share the photos with everyone. First the Ely Mine photos...

http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/viewtopic.php?p=109201

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:20 am 

What an epic adventure, snowshoeing only to go underground in a frozen, wet mine. You guys are hard corps, I salute you. Great pictures too, amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:54 am 

Roger That!!

Looks like a fun trip. Thanks for he pictures.

Also, looks like you had a diverse group. I think I saw at least one Coal Miner in the group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:56 pm 

Vermont is always fun stuff. Snow shoes definately eat the energy up. BANKS WAS THERE :shock: :shock: there must be a reason Hmmm. I know what it was.

NIce pictures of a cool mine guys. Thanks for posting them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks guys. Not only do the snow shoes eat up energy, but we have to lug all our equipment around too. Another challenge that isn't often revealed in our pictures is the lugging of our equipment down icy inclines, over flooded stopes by boat, down vertical shafts by rope, and through tight spaces. Sometimes it is carefully coordinated by passing equipment and packs from one person to the next.

I think diversity is key. There are different aspects of the mines that interest one person more than the other and collectively, it helps paint a picture and understanding of each mining operation. While I'll be busy photographing for example, one person might be measuring the gauge of the rails or of a drift, another person will be figuring out the mechanics of a hoist, and another will have found an artifact such as a miners boot or piece of a drill. Some of us have caving experience while others have worked in an actual mine. Interestingly, in the case of the Ely Mine, CT Mike discovered part of an old hobnail boot. But this wasn't just any old piece of footwear, it was incredibly small which obviously indicates child labor took place there. There are a lot of puzzle pieces that if noticed and cataloged, provide unique information about the mine.