Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:23 pm 

thats the county for ya..... they have no idea what they have there. we tried talking to them but it didnt work, oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:04 pm 

It bothers me alot to know that when we have some downtime between tours and I get the chance to walk around the mine in the off-limits areas there are some real great views of other chambers, an old air door, 10 ft behind the mule there is a chamber going down into the dunmore 1 that has been filled by an underground spring crystal clear shtot looking thru the water, Past the jalopy in the old workings there is a massive wooden shute coming down from the new county. Lots of little things that would be great to show the people and add to the tour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:37 pm 

That would be nice to see that stuff. Been down that tour several times. We go to AVP for aircraft crash training every year and I take one of the guys down the tour with me if they've never been in a mine. I was told about the water in the shaft but never knew about the wooden chute. Any safety issues with fencing that stuff off and opening it up to view?

With liability the way it is, I'm actually suprised a county government is operating a coal mine tour. Most municipalities wouldn't touch something like that. Especially with the man trip they use. Anything people get in that moves . . . .

But I hope you can convince them of adding those things to the tour, I'd like to see them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:00 am 

no safety issues, almost anything can be made safe. you should have seen that place when they opened it up! there would have been so many better mines to make a tour out of but this was "convient" because it was in a park and the county already owned the land and planned to do that one. i highly doubt youll see advancements made there which is a real shame because the county wont dump some money in the mine. we went down and talked with them several times about things we could do there and how we could run our 80 year old mine motor inside for special tours making them more money but they pushed it aside and said its not in the budget. lackawanna wonderful at its finest. even up to just last fall we made attempts to get stuff down there when i learned we had to relocate it from my dads and they never returned any of my 5 phone calls, nice. hence we are working at no.9 and pioneer and theres big plans in the works for both some of which we have already done and will be seen on this years tour season so cmon down! also, which must be noted, this is the countys fault not the operators of the mine. the suppeys do a great job keeping that place up and running and safe for the public. they are real good people and pretty good friends of ours. they are a great source of knowledge and help! they were all for our ideas but said theres no chance the county would go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:25 am 

Ya, I work for a county. I understand. It would be nice if the Scranton one was more like No. 9, it would be so much closer for me. But I'd love to be able to come down No. 9 again and do some more work in there, hope I can get some time to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:30 am 

Sidebar: I wonder if the News-Item would let me do a story on the No. 9. They always have done one on the Pioneer. I've been writing lately, wouldn't mind doing it.

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:47 am 

im sure they would be more than happy for you to do that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:04 pm 

Shame on me for not saying the Supeys are doing a good job there, thanks for covering my @## Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:14 pm 

no prob billy, gonna have to get together one of these days before tour season starts.......