Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lance Colliery, Plymouth Boro, PA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:20 am 

I am looking for info on this colliery, owned by the Wilkes Barre Coal Company, then the Glen Alden Company. Any photos of the Power Plant buildings out there? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:30 am 

I have a pic of the Lance colliery taken in 1960 right before it closed, I think i have a newspaper clip of its 1963 demolition and early history from Dr. Davis of Plymouth 1943. I am going to see if i can get the the time to scan them and other pics scanned, like the 1947 GMC hudson coal dumptruck I found in Valentis last year and post them this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:41 am 

Thanks so much for whatever you can do. Unfortunately I need the info by the end of this week. Who is the person you mentioned and can I get in touch with him to have a phone interview (Is he in the phone book for Plymouth)? Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:31 pm 

Sure thing ill see if i can get to kinkos tomorrow to scan them are you doing this for a school paper,? unfortunately dr davis died in the 1947 i think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:32 pm 

did you get the email i sent you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:36 pm 

Yes Chris, you taught me more about how electricity is generated than I knew before! Thanks so much. I welcome any other inof you can give me too.

Would you know the different parts - components - of a colliery power plant operation? What each building or section of building would have been used for?

Do you know a Dr. Davis and where I can get literature of his or know how I can contact him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:35 pm 

Dr davis died many years ago, you can find and photo copy his writings at the wyo valley hist society

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:41 pm 

Thanks Cris for whatever you can provide. I cannot get to the WVHS, unfortunately. Did Davis write specifically on the Lance Colliery? If so, that is awesome and could use his info. Did your car promote the start of Desparate landscapes on DIY network??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:39 pm 

A gentleman just told me that the Lance Colliery power plant was never operated by the Colliery that it was always operated by UGI, now I am confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:02 pm 

that is true the plant next to the colliery which is still there was a ugi plant from what i understand. I am thinking that most likely any power needs were either supplied by glen alden's loomis plant which generated electricity by burning waste coal. This was located in the dundee sect of hanover twp on a private road accross from the loomis colliery (now the site of waste reduction & recycling inc.) or perhaps purchaced from an outside vendor, or produced onsite from a powerplant that is no longer standing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:04 pm 

dr davis wrote extensively on the history of plymouth pa, which included much info on the area collierys