Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anty vs Bitty Pricing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:58 pm 

From another thread that I don't want to muck up:

Quote:
Reading Anthracite raised its rates in June 2008 from $152 to $159 a ton, according to a Reading Anthracite spokeswoman.

DiRenzo said he raised his rates in September 2008 due to inflation, from $150 a ton to $165 a ton.

Skytop sold coal at $145 a ton in early 2008. Inflation forced the business to raise prices until it reached $175 a ton in February. But with warmer weather approaching and a decrease in demand, DiCasimirro said Skytop is now selling a ton of coal for $165.

RS&W Coal Co. Inc., Pottsville, which sells to breakers including DiRenzo Coal Co., raised its rates in September 2008 from $50 a ton to $60 a ton, said Randy Rothermel, RS & W co-owner.

When Bitty mines talk about tons of production maybe we should talk about dollars. Here in SW Indiana, we don't have mines and breakers. The mines for the most part process on site, here they're called wash plants.

In many cases the coal will get loaded on an off-road pit truck to the wash plant . From there by truck or train to the power plant. In a few cases, it will be trucked to a rail load-out and be blended.

The point is the power plants are paying $25 - 40 a ton delivered.

Just another case where the two coals cannot be compared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:29 pm 

Doug, your not comparing the premium met coal that can be had. At one time when the market was up the Chinese were paying $300 a-ton for #2gas and lower Cedar grove coal. Red ash would have probably been more but, there are only a couple of mines in that seam. Its probably the best coking coal. It's only about 18 to 30 inches high though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:13 pm 

Correct.

The metelugical coals may be a third beast.

I'm just bring to the table what I know of here in the Illinois Basin. And that is Steam Coal used in electrical generation.

Medium BTU, High and mid sulfur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:02 pm 

Yes the coal out there is a little lower quality. Not as bad as Lignite or Powder River Basin. Yes Met coal is the most expensive but it also falls the fastest when the market drops. No steel , no coal. I wished Anthracite would pickup and provide more jobs. Any job is a good job at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:05 pm 

The thing with Anthracite pricing is it's very stable. When it jumps up it usually only goes up 10$ a ton or so and than stays there. Very very rarely does the price drop. In the past it would drop a couple of dollars a ton at the breaker over the summer but that doesnt happen much anymore. The price of bitty met coal did go sky high there for a while but has since dropped back down to under 100$ a ton while in the same time frame Anthracite went up 10$ to 20$ a ton and stayed there.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:20 pm 

Coalfire, The Anthracite did pick up a bit last year and some jobs were definitly created, though not enough to offset what was lost in the prior 7 or 8 years do to MSHA's overregulation. Things did slow down to an extent but not enough to cause any lay offs. The past two years overtime was almost unlimited in the Anthracite. For the most part everybody just cut back on there overtime or in some cases are just stockpiling coal.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:23 pm 

Are you getting to work pretty regular Mike? I hope the economy hasn't hit too hard up there. My dad is down to 4 days a week ,salary reduction and has to pay some of his insurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:28 pm 

Still working 6 days a week just 8 to 10 hours instead of 12.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:15 pm 

Ran across this government data site.

Most bitty pricing with some Powder River data.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/coal/page/coalnews/coalmar.html#spot