All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Charges refiled in miner's death
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:26 am 

Charges refiled in miner’s death

STAFF WRITER
fandruscavage@republicanherald.com
Published: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:14 AM EDT
by FRANK ANDRUSCAVAGE

TREMONT — The state attorney general’s office has refiled charges against one of three men arrested in connection with a 2006 Tremont Township mine explosion that killed a coal miner.

Charges against Jeffrey T. Klinger, 43, of 2 W. Laurel St., Tremont, were again filed March 27 before Magisterial District Judge James Ferrier, Orwigsburg.

Klinger will have to appear for another preliminary hearing at 1 p.m. April 30 before Magisterial District Judge Carol A. Pankake, Tremont, on charges of involuntary manslaughter, causing or risking a catastrophe, recklessly endangering another person and four violations of the Anthracite Coal Mine Act.

Glenn A. Parno, chief deputy with the state attorney general’s office, refiled the charges that were dismissed in February by Schuylkill County Judge Jacqueline L. Russell.

The charges are in connection with an Oct. 23, 2006 explosion at the R&D Coal Co. that claimed the life of Dale Reightler, 43, of Donaldson.

The owner of the mine, David P. Zimmerman, 53, and his son, Steven D. Zimmerman, 33, both of Pine Grove, still face charges in connection with the blast.

In her 52-page opinion filed in February, Russell ruled prosecutors had not produced sufficient evidence to support any of the charges against Klinger except three alleged violations of the state Anthracite Coal Mine Act.

“No facts in the record indicate ... that Klinger recklessly disregarded a risk to (Dale) Reightler,â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:13 pm 

flippin wow... what a STUPID JOKE. People who DON'T UNDERSTAND COAL MINING trying to put there foot down and their 2 cents in. Yuppie f.......ers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:18 pm 

WOW! ... I agree what Banks says and more... that really sucks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:20 pm 

It seems that public official feel a need to help when bad things happen and many times there is nothing new laws and lawyers can do.

This seems to be turning into witch hunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:24 pm 

It seems that public official feel a need to help when bad things happen and many times there is nothing new laws and lawyers can do.

This seems to be turning into a witch hunt. The courts seem to be thinking that if they try long enough they will be able to lynch someone. If someone was at fault, then the "rules and regs were not to blame"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:41 am 

I smelled witch hunt with this one a long time ago.
Never trust 'em.

When Banks calls someone a yuppie...
You KNOW something ain't right.

:mrgreen:

~S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:47 pm 

Banks I couldn't have said it any better myself. This is like congress enacting the MINER act. What congressman involved in writing that act EVER worked in a mine? How could you write a bill or file charges against somebody and not know what your talking about! This government of ours has gotten way out of line and it's said to say but with the current administration it's only getting worse.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:25 pm 

and the problem is there probably is no changing it now. this is ridiculous what is being done to these guys, they are definitely using it to make an example out of someone!