Iron Miners
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:32 pm 

It seems the public in general does not appreciate the hard work and the risks some have to make just to do their job.Like others have said here, there are far more common actions you make everyday that can jeopardize one's safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:51 pm 

PA COAL wrote:
It seems the public in general does not appreciate the hard work .

I think you and Banks make a very valid point. American society seems to have lost out work ethic. And want everything handed to them on a silver platter.

If it requires actual work it is beneath us. If it require getting dirty at work, well that just will not do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:37 pm 

I can't count how many blank stairs I've gotten from people when:

a I tell them I heat with coal

b I work underground sometimes

c ( the real jaw dropper!) I'm a high voltage electrician in the strippings.

It really does some like the general population has lost touch with reality. I've gotten offers to go with different companies, hell when I was working for a electrical contractor yet at least once a week I was pulling network cabels in some fancy office someplace and you know what I was really miserable towards the end. I didn't like the places I was working in alot of the time (yuppies galore!) I didn't even like the work itself. But it was a socially acceptable job. Now I really don't mind getting up in the morning and going to work, as a matter of fact I look forward to it. I like crawling throuh the bottom of a greasy dragline or getting up in the bucket truck and changing a set of rotten cross arms, or going down in the old works and changing a pump out. But it seams that the yuppie types would rather see me miserable and working in a office in some buisness park. I do have to say the best was when we were in the tamaqua diner one day and a older lady told us to start chewing red man because it will keep the dust out of our throats. Most everybody in the Southern Field still gets it :wink:

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:34 pm 

:lol: Hells yeah mike a that she was a good one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:40 pm 

I really like Tamaqua. Every time I come through there I stop and take pics of something. I need to find something to do down there and get out of NY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:35 am 

Mike A wrote:
at least once a week I was pulling network cabels in some fancy office someplace and you know what I was really miserable towards the end. I didn't like the places I was working in alot of the time (yuppies galore!) I didn't even like the work itself. But it was a socially acceptable job.

Keep in mind that in that environment there are different groups of people. I know I work in one. There are those folks who do like that as much as you like the mines. But, there are some who are as miserable as you were and feel seriously trapped.

Some of those jobs pay serious money and money is addictive. You get in a rut and are unhappy with the job, but the money is good. You start buying toys to self-medicate. It becomes a serious circle.

The job requires toys

The toys require extra money

The extra money requires the job.

Now Banks said on another thread, Quite the job and get to a mine.

That is far over simplified. Yeah I could, but I figure that within about two weeks I would be ready to strangle some idiot manager and be back to miserable. At twice the hours and half the pay.

There are time you have to pick your misery.

Quote:
Now I really don't mind getting up in the morning and going to work, as a matter of fact I look forward to it.

Consider yourself real blessed, that is rare.

Quote:
I do have to say the best was when we were in the Tamaqua diner one day and an older lady told us to start chewing red man because it will keep the dust out of our throats. Most everybody in the Southern Field still gets it :wink:
[/quote]

What is different about the Southern vs the Middle? I fail to see any significant differences. Could it be that mine has lasted longer in the Southern and they still remember?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:05 am 

first tamaqua is a nice town cause it lies in the anthracite. all nice towns lie in the anthracite, not in pittsburgh in those silly coal fields :twisted:

doug, the southern is larger, and most of the middle has been stripped away. there still are a few spots you can sink a slope but not as much as the southern field im told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:12 pm 

johnr wrote:
I really like Tamaqua. Every time I come through there I stop and take pics of something. I need to find something to do down there and get out of NY.

Me too. I like the Beacon there in Hometown, and the Golden Spike in Tamaqua.
:)

I don't think I could stand driving truck on those roads in the winter though...
I'm looking in the Pine Grove area. I could keep my crappy job if I stayed down there somewhere.

~S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:06 pm 

the beacon had good food too, but the one and only time i was there it took us over an hour to get our food so that was it for me. for me, in that area the tamaqua diner wins hands down, good onion soup. only better ive had was at kelseys in ashley.