Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:10 am 
Site Admin

I have updated the Sparta Mine slide show with a "remastered" view of the adit which reveals more of the opening. Also added is a shot of the recent closure effort of the original 1820's adit. Again this can be viewed at http://www.ironminers.com/ironmines/sparta-mine-1.htm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:23 pm 

I found this sight to see the pictures of the old sparta mine. Amazing really my fathers aunt lived in the old house that was built in front of the mine.I remember going to Kemey's Cove to visit her when Iwas a young girl and was always enthralled with the mine. I am going to look through my dads pictures i know I have a picture of the old house if anyone might be interested. Thanks for the great slide show pics it brought back allot of memories. It is a shame that all of what and how I remember the house and mine are gone and that it has been sealed. Sad really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the site Cindy! I was unaware there was a house situated in front of the mine. Do you know when your great aunt's house was built approximately? Was the house located in front of the 1820's adit (http://www.ironminers.com/ironmines/sparta-mine-1.htm) or the later 1800's adit (http://www.ironminers.com/ironmines/sparta-mine-23.htm)? I'm sure we would all be interested in seeing pictures of the house and of the mine, if you have any. It is sad to have lost this piece of history and I'm glad to hear it is remembered by more than just a slideshow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:50 pm 

Hi, I did find my dads pics today. One is a newsclip picture of the house and Cove inlet that was in the Citzen Register news on Aug. 11, 1959.Also a picture of my dads family must be 1920's next to the house and another pic of a relative at the mine with a cart that I think was used to haul out the cooper and you can see the rail in the dirt. If you want I can send you a copy of each just tell me where.Not sure what part of the mine the house was in front of. But the house was right across from the cove. I always wanted to go into the mine but my mom told my dad absolutely not lol. I think they rented the house they were not very well off . As I remember the house I don't even think had electricity. The last time I was down there a small park had been built and all had over grown and the dirt road was also over grown that went towards the house and cove. It became a great place to go submarine watching as a teenager if you get my meaning. I am not good with downloading pics and posting via computer but willing to sen them to you in the snail mail or try to email them just let me know.. take care

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:40 pm 

Nice pictures and descriptions Mike. That water looks cold. You guys must be hard core to be in that water. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:06 am 

yeah thats hardcore CT style! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Cindy,

I would love to see as many of these pictures as you would like to share, especially of the ore car and the rail in the dirt. It is entirely possible you have the earliest pictures remaining of this historical operation.

As soon as I started realizing much of our history was not going to last forever, I began always carrying a camera around with me. Doing so has made it possible to help create this website, a pictoral archive of our mining history. Thank you for offering to share these pictures.

I have messaged you my contact information privately on the forum. After you log in, at the top of the screen it should say you have 1 message.

Chemistry1969, while we have developed a high tolerance for wading through bone chilling water without the use of waders, we typically plan ahead with water shoes or waders, especially if we know we're going to be in the water for a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Cindy,

I also want to thank you for both signing on to the forum and expressing your interests here. We are very excited that you were able to locate old photos of the operation and your father's Aunt's house. That certainly adds a lot of history to the mine and we are very glad that you are willing to share this with us.

Miner Greg