Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:58 pm 

Those mines are in Siskiyou County and were found while I was guiding some elk hunters in the area, not even close to where you will be.

I don't have pics of the stamp mills, sorry. If you're gonna be in the Malakoff area the 2 mines with the stamp mills are within 10 miles of where the road turns from paved to dirt. One on the Middle Fork side and one on the South Fork side. Access would actually be easier on the South Fork side from the town of Washington if you know where that is. I don't think snow would be an issue there and the walk is less than 1/2 mile with one creek crossing.

Schedule permitting, I'll try to get up there before you leave with a real time update for you as well as some photos of access, mines and mills. There is another mine in the area I ran across that had the old mill site, bunk house, cook shack and ore bins. It looked to be a lower grade ore due to finding a lot of old cyanide barrels in a ravine. Never made it too far in the main haulage tunnel due to water depth after a sluff pile damed it. If I recall that mine was the Ancho Erie and it may show up on a map.

Stan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:03 pm 

The roads are wet, but all open and snow free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Stan, I suppose it is time to book our trip then. I'm seeing mention of showers next week, do you think that will mean snow for the 3,000 - 4,000 foot elevations? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:30 pm 

Mike, looks like rain/snow Dec 7th - 10th. Not sure what the amounts are gonna be, but you can almost count on some snow hanging on the north side of Graniteville Road (Middle Fork Yuba River canyon). Just depends how deep the drifts are in the shaded areas.

If you can give me some kind of time line for your trip I'll try to head up that way before hand and verify access. If you plan to stay on the South Fork Yuba canyon side (right side going past Malakoff) you should be OK as long as there isn't significant snowfall.

Hope this helps.