Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:40 pm 

i'm gunna guess by your question that you're over 18, but under 21?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:48 pm 

Regarding the 1920's Jeffrey. Stay tuned we just changed our homepage & are going to have several pages and youtube videos dedicated to that site and our project there. The link to the picture on the homepage will work once we get everything up online. Lots of cool videos coming soon.

Last edited by rail haulage miners on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:32 pm 

The Updates sound good. I like to see what you are doing with the older eq.

The Roof bolter was neat, I just thought the 5' steel was out of place

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:36 pm 

Good eye Doug....that drill is the wrong drill for it. We used it to drill into the roof of the building hahaha....you know we had to test it. The drills we have for it are in 36" lengths & can be added to make longer depths if needed. The extensions for the drills are just lick impact socket extensions just on a more heavy duty scale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:43 pm 

ooooh, lots of youtube vids....... pete youre a dork. next thing ya know ovcc is going to have a myspace and facebook. :roll: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:47 pm 

Hahahaha you better talk to Mike about the FB thing....that warrants a phone call I am staying out of that one. :lol: :lol: I am in charge of the Youtube vids they are bad ass 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:49 pm 

yea i have a few vids we did with airplanes that would make great youtube vids but since some 3 and 4 letter agencies would find the actions in them legally questionable im refraining from posting them 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:59 pm 

Oh they are in ours to (you have to listen closely)....just wear earmuffs for the kiddies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:31 pm 

rail haulage miners, I find the track haulage longwall interesting. Very interesting. I have never heard of that before. What is the length face you guys are running up there. A couple of the mines I worked had track haulage but never from longwall. 1 used Jefferys motors and the other used both Jeffery and old rebuilt Westinghouse motors (locomovitives) BTW we had some guys go to Shoemaker when SOCCO closed. If you run into any of them tell them an old dude says hello :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:19 pm 

Thats what makes Shoemaker the last of the last.

The longwall machine is 1200 -1250ft long across the coal face. I have to check.

Basically each underground mine train pulls out 900 ton of raw coal per load which is one pass of the longwall.

Each mine train requires (2) 50 ton jeffreys. The loco is 720hp & pulls 2400amps at 250vdc. So the train pulls 5000amps under full load which they do since it is uphill underground to the prep plant.

We have a video up online showing just a little of the mine operation near the prep plant. More videos will come once it is transitioned over to the belt.

Video Link: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=101010779919612&ref=mf

Hope this helps.....We have a pic of a "NEW" loco for SOCCO built by jeffrey. Let me try to post it up here shortly.

Thanks,
Pete, Ohio Vintage Coal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:45 pm 

Sounds like the longwall boys may get a lot of breaks, :lol: . We had 1000ft face If I remember right. I worked the LW for a few years and was happy to get away from it. The Jefferys we had were pretty good motors as long maint. was kept up on them. We did have to replace a lot of controllers . But Journals/trucks had a very good life. Ran on 270 VDC both trolly and battery car supplied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:53 pm 

Oh there is an underground storage silo. When that longwall is running it rarely stops. These mine trains are going 8 miles each way underground which is unbelievable this day in age. Annnnnnd that is why this big belt project is almost complete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:54 pm 

What company made that mantrip shown coming out of the shoemaker mine in those photos? (not the jeffery locomotive with the roof bolter) but the mantrip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:55 am 

rail haulage miners , Interesting photos. The old Bottom Machine still looks like it is ready to kick a few jacks, break a few ropes :o and spread the cheer of Black Lung :( . BTW, anytime you guys need volenteer mechanic work restoring that eqpt.. let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:37 am 

Actually we have a wood mine car we have to pick up soon at a mine site in Pomeroy, Ohio maybe we can meet up there. Are you close to that location?

Pete, OVCC