Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Google books
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:20 am 

maybe some or all have already discovered google books ? But if anyone hasnt, you HAVE to check it out. Was on there for over 7 hours yeaterday. Just go to the advanced search and start typing in any subjest aboput mining. Can even download books that are available in PDF format. Just dont search to long or they think your a " bot" and will block your IP address. Happy searching. There are even extensive articles on the construction of the Marvine, Penn coal company No 1, Wanamie & souther field breakers. Even a pic of wannamie under construction. http://books.google.com/books?id=1UMLAA ... utput=html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:17 am 

wow tony thats a good find, a few pages after your link there is info on the franklin, wanamie, buck mountain and brookside collieries. cool stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:15 am 

Cheryl from the historical society filled me in on that site. Can even download the entire book if you want. Just when I think Im all out of research material. Something comes along. Glad yeh found it interesting. Hope everyone else does as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:18 pm 

That is a great find, since I grew up walking at the Marvine breaker site as early as 1983 till the day it was taken down, it will always be my favorite. Does anyone have info on the managers/ supervisors of the Marvine breaker throughout the years?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, there is a lot of good stuff up there. Some of it is scanned, but not available for download. I haven't figure out why yet, but they do have a lot of material up there.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:53 am 

Greg I think its something to do with copyrights. ??? Kinda sucks as there is some good stuff on there that isnt accessable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, that is what Google says.. But books released by the US Government are not copyrightable. State governments have the option to copyright their material. In addition, for books which were successfully copyrighted which are not US Government books, their copyright expires 70 years after the death of the last surviving author. I've seen books on Google which are supposedly "copyrighted" and not viewable, but are not or no longer copyrighted based off of the legal definition.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:08 am 

That you will have to take up with google. I just pass on the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Ohh I know! Just pointing out some issues that I have with google books. Otherwise it certainly is a fantastic asset in our field of study..

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:29 pm 

Yeh seems like people or organzations use the copyright laws as they see fit. Kinda an excuse to not make things available. This way if you want to access something you have to scurry e bay or somewhere else to purchase a copy.