Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diamond Colliery Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:07 am 

Hello, I grew up in NEPA, but now live in MD.

I've really been enjoying underground miners site and this forum since my brother recently got me interested in coal mining. He lives about a mile or so from the Diamond Colliery Site. We've been trying to piece together as much information as we can. He's been exploring the site. I haven't been to the site myself yet, but I'm going to be in the area around the 4th of July and explore the site as well as take the coal mine tour.

Since UGM has more information about Diamond than any other source, I thought I'd ask here for more information. So far my brother and I have only been able to locate one picture:

From the information in the caption of that photo and on the UGM site, it seems that the remains are from the "new" breaker in the background and apparently some other buildings, like the fanhouse that aren't visable in the photo. Right?

Does anyone have more photos of the diamond site or know where we can find one?

Any other information about the site would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:18 am 

One more thing...

Below are some pictures my brother took near the Diamond Remains on the opposite side of the train tracks. Does anyone know anything about them? Did the underground miners check this out when they were at the site? We are guessing that they are bootleg mines, but for all we know they may not extend beyond what you can see in the pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:12 am 

hey jesse, first off, welcome to the forum. second thats a great pic of the colliery. that is the old breaker and the new one is in the background. the north scranton expressway goes between them both with the old breaker being around the area of the football stadium now. i do have the mine map to this area and the surface map. you are correct that the pics we have of the remains and fan house are from the newer site. those outcrop openings are most likely either chambers that broke out to the surface when they were mining or like you said boot leg holes, could be either. shoot me an email or pm when your up this way maybe we can meet up at the tour one day. one of the guys from our group is a tour guide up there, however he is in germany till mid july. hope this helps a bit.

chris

Post subject: Mine opening
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:09 pm 

Those pics of the mine opening are from the 5 ft vein.