Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Are any of these abandoned drag lines pretty much intact? I'd love to see photos of even the partially scraped ones..

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:06 am 

someone put a bunch of pics up of the one above eynon up awhile ago ill have to find them again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:14 pm 

Theres actually two draglines up in Eynon. Plus a few dynamite "shacks", a IR drill, and a mini breaker on wheels. Hand fed, through the crusher onto a conveyer. The area was stripped and then reclaimed. Minus removing the equipment. they have " PACE" construction on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:38 pm 

I'm hearing procurement and restoration material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:01 pm 

walter bennett posts a lot of pictures on stripmine.org of mining equipment also on youtube under bennetshovel [same areas]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:07 pm 

That's where I thought I had seen similar pictures. But when I checked yesterday I couldn't find them on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:07 pm 

New to the boards and quite late to the discussion, but I wanted to thank Justin for posting the photographs of the draglines.

The Larksville photographs are especially special for the anecdote behind them. My father grew up in Larksville in the 40s and 50s, and among the many mining stories he's shared, one was of throwing small rocks from the top of the pit so they'd land on the tin/corrugated metal roof of that dragline, which was nicknamed "Big Greenie". The pit in which he specifically recalls the machine working was above State Street in Larksville, where, at its deepest point, the top of the dragline's boom was well below the sides of the pit. He said that, as its name implies, Big Greenie was one of the older machines working in that area.

Going back to the rock throwing, the operator or one of the engineers inside would become startled with the loud bang, come out, curse at them for a while, then continue. His generation was the first (like most in the region at that time) not to be miners, despite being the children and grandchildren of miners, mainly because they grew up when anthracite was well into its post-war decline. (Other stories were of the draglines arriving by train and truck in the area of what now is Wyoming Valley West middle school, their construction, and walking them up the hillside, of them crossing the mountain roads, etc.).

It's also amazing how much has changed in that area. Much of the pits from Route 309 on the east to Avondale on the west has been filled, with only some smaller holes (relatively speaking--they're still quite deep) remaining in and around Larksville mountain and above the Avondale area. Almost nothing remains of the heavy infrastructure where the equipment was repaired (a small concrete pad comes to mind), and the heavy haul mine roads are nothing more than narrow ATV paths.

Again, thank you for posting the photographs. I look forward to spending many hours here learning from y'all.