Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iron Mine with Two Entrances - Discussions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Please use this thread to discuss the 'Iron Mine with Two Entrances'..

To view photos, please click here:

http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... hp?t=20926

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm 

where in southern new york is this? we drive up Rt. 220 to Buffalo and good deal, is this within side trip distance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Navycaptain, I sent you a p.m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:04 pm 

Great pics of this mine. There is evidence of mining along the ridge (your pics) and east of the pond. Did you notice the pile of rocks at the end of the gravel parking lot near the comfort station? There are additional evidence of prospecting behind the stone building, and this mining cut is featured in the East Hudson Trail Map. During the summer months the water level in the mine is low enough to walk through to an opening near a small stream. Across the street from the mine there is evidence of a mining dump. The terminus of the narrow gauge railroad was at the dump near the boat rental station. This is a good place to start a walking tour of the group of mines in the park.

Thanks for sharing,
Mike Maz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:07 am 
Site Admin

Hey Michael, so are you suggesting there was a third entrance accessible only when the water table is low? Each time I have visited this mine, we were able to travel underground between the two entrances without flooding stopping us. It appeared as though the stope continues completely flooded toward the northeast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:40 pm 

Undiscovered opening in the Canada Mine?

There is a wooden sign at The Pelton Pond parking lot that states:
A Man-Made Pond Formed From The Damming Of A 1930 Iron Ore Mine Shaft

The DEC map of Pelton Pond shows that the pond is 50' deep. I have looked at the topography from the dam to the Canada Mine and have not seen any evidence of a shaft connection from Pelton Pond to the Canada Mine. Although the damming of the Pond has changed the original characteristics of the land around the mine, I cannot state that an open cut connected to the water-filled shaft at any time. The sign is misleading because no iron mining occurred in Putnam County after WORLD WAR 1. The Canopus Mine operated until 1912, but this mine processed ore at the Canopus Hill Area. The Pine Pond Arsenic Mine operated until World War 1 but this ore was used in plant insecticide, not in making iron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:04 pm 

Mike- do you have any info on the pine pond arsenic mine or canopus iron mine. Ive seen the adit to the arsenic mine but did not enter do you know how extensive it is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:40 pm 

The mine is usually referred to as Pine Pond Mine and worked in 1906-1907 period (although Carlton B. Scofield states in his book, Echo From The Hills, "it was worked as recently as the first World War").

From The History Of Putnam County:
"About half a mile southwest of Pine Pond is a locality where arsenical iron is found. This is one of the old mine holes, from which silver is reported to have been taken, and it is locally known as "the silver mine." The mine was leased and worked about 1848, by a company called the "Hudson River Mining Company." The shaft is about forty feet deep, and yellow pulverulent sulphuret of arsenic covers the shaft, resulting from the decomposition of the arsenical sulphuret of iron, of which there is evidently a large quantity."

The Arsenic contaminated the drinking water (wells) of the two homes located at the mine and the incident was published in the local newspaper. The mine is not visible from the road and is on private property.

Tha Canopus Mine is pictured in the book, Images Of America - Putnam County, NY by Guy Cheli on page 117. The photo is of a wooden structure and refuse scattered around the property in 1936. The mine is covered with water and debris, but some of the mining structure (the foundations made of brick, and platforms with large bolts are still visible at the site. Across the street is an exploratory pit that is filled in with tree branches, and is also located on private property.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:00 pm 

Are these mines on Fahnstock State Park? look familiar

Post subject: Re: Iron Mine with Two Entrances - Discussions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:40 pm 

Hey guys, new to the forum. I have a lot of research on the old iron mines of westchester and putnam counties, NY. Pine Pond is actually visible from Gypsy Trail Rd. , Kent NY. It is also open to the public because it is in the Ninham Mt. Mutiple use area. Very cool. I hope to photograph the many pits, shaft, equiptment soon- will post both here and minedata.org. This place was originally known as the Pine Pond Silver Mine- probably an investment scam. lots of articles are available now- Putnam Co. Currier has put archives online. I have never seen any sulpherent minerals like these any where else in the hudson highlands. The Ore did contain Nickel and Cobalt. Near one of the shafts there is a set up that looks like some kind of heap leaching operation that i will document. This place needs to be checked out soon because it is on the reclamation hotlist and is a a highly contaminated superfund site that runs off into NYC watershed- two people killed by aresenic/well contaminatiuon.

traveling west on 301 out of Carmel, cross the causeway and make first Rt on Gypsy Trail Rd.
after a few miles you will see a multiple use area the right- Dont Stop
you continue untill the road goes down and than starts steeply up the hill.
Primary mine opening is into the hillside on your left (there is a parking pulloff) Mt bike trails
If you miss the spot- you will see the Ninham Mt. multiple use area on your left (50 yards past the mine) you can turn around there or go up to the first parking area inside the MUA and make your way back in that direction.

additional mines are up the hill from the large mine visible from the road- just follw the stream up hill.
there is also an open fire tower at the top of the MUA google Ninham Mt fire tower- worth the trip

Shotgun hunting is permitted in this MUA so dont dress like a deer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:35 pm 

Thanks very much for posting! This area has been on my hit list for several years. This was an Arsenopyrite Mine and a mineral locality that has been written up in multiple mineral collecting publications.

I'll be heading out there on Friday.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:20 am 

Jackstraw,

glad to share this unique location

Dont follow old topo maps- they show the mines or caves to the west of ninham court where there is a house- not correct. facing up ninham court from gypsy trail the mines are to your left. the first horisontal shaft is large and paralell with gypsy trail (visable from gypsy). if you start there, the other vertical shafts are up stream couple of hundred yards or less to the left of the stream. there are actually two streams that merge- it's the one that paralells niham ct. as seen on google earth non satelite map. very intresting topography (ridge to the right). mines are all filled with water but lots of ore everywhere. Not supposed to collect natual items on state land so bring a back pack and smaller tools- there is a ranger station nearby. note the stone wall made of the "sulpher rocks" -public works durring the depression. the fire tower is about a mile of an uphill hike from the gate on the right. tower is safe but not for the faint hearted- great views but very windy above the tree line. please check out the built up ridge of crushed ore with an uphill ditch that runs into the stream- I was wondering if that was a leach set up for silver??? hope you get good pics- i was there this summer with no camera. I encourage all who are intrested to check this place out. it is one of the few spots that is completly legal and you are even free to camp there- dont drink the water!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:20 pm 

Hello
I am also new to this and several years later.

Can anyone tell me about these mines off gipsy trail road? I know of two, one on state property and the other is on private property up the street. I know that both mines were used to mine arsenic, one owned by Putnam County Arsenic Mine and the other was owned by Putnam County Mining Corp, near Pine pond. Do we know of the anyone that purchased these mines after those two businesses?

For new people reading this the couple that died according to a post above did not pass away but did get very sick. That happened in 1988.