Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Micheal Coal Company
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:50 pm 

Today while out looking for mines, i stumbled upon a modern sign or two saying the blasting signals for the Micheal Coal Company. Are they surface or u/g? Its the southern field

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:03 pm 

Michael coal is a surface job. if there are blasting signals, its a surface mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:18 pm 

thanks , also while out today i found the short mountain colliery. I only found a manway slope entrance, however from old pictures it looks like the shaft would be right in the middle of the MAD ponds? does anyone know? Also spent an hour combing the mountainside north of there for the Lykens tunnel with no luck. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:46 pm 

Hey navycaptain8,

That is my old stomping grounds. The Short Mountain Tunnel entrance is covered over. A mining company just opened it abour a year ago to see the condition of the tunnel. DEP was involved and it was closed back up. Not sure if they were thinking of re-opening it? The shaft is right against the second pond heading off the blacktop on the opposite side of the road near the Game Commission Parking Lot. I have my name in the cement cap that the Army Corp put on top of the shaft back about 20 years ago. The Navy did some testing in that shaft. Wish I knew you were going to be around I would have joined you. Let me know when you want to take a look around again and I can join you. Not much to see anymore. Alot of stuff is getting covered or demolished. Directly above the Short Mountain Tunnel a slope was driven and not sure what purpose it served (vent)? That was covered over as well when they covered the porthole. Did you see the AMD on the lower side of the road coming out of the tunnel? An old coal miner down in Lykens has a small museum Bill Sedeshee. Lots of old pictures and artifacts.

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:20 pm 

I saw the still standing building and the ruins of the hoisthouse? directly to the south of the still stanmding building. What is the compass direction from the southern most pond of where the shaft was/is? To get to the remaining slope portal i climbed down the embankment of the southern pond over some concrete ruin, which i sunk into due to deep snow, and then to the slope discharging amd and two small discharges south of there. Also hiked into bearvally and found a old airshaft, but had to turn back after that due to deep snow. Do you about the condition of the summit slope, schmoele slope, bear valley shaft, and bear valley slope?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:05 am 

I am familiar with the names but not the exact locations. If you had a map were they used to be I can show you. One of those mines is feeding the AMD to the north of the Short Mt. Tunnel. When you leave the blacktop near the tunnel and the brick building is on your left you are heading due North. The shaft is NE abput 80 - 100 yards. from the end of blacktop. It is capped and has vegetation covering it. The toe of the slope from AMD pond #2 goes right to the cap if I remember correct. Do you have a mt. bike? I could get you up bear valley to see more mines faster. They are up the line a good ways. On the back side up the trail that leads to the top of Short Mt. an old boot leg hole is right along the road. I have pics somewhere. Has to be a truck from the 30-40's for the hoist. You have to walk across the frame on the trail. I have a book with a picture of the Short Mt Colliery in its hayday.

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:55 am 

i do have maps, however they electronic maps ... you haveta download them from the website... could i pm you the links? Also i do have mt bike, however my dads bike isnt great for large rocks, is the trail RR ballast rocks or for gravel and dirt? The bootleg hole is in bear valley?