Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The most authoritative definitive text/book on mining??
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:51 pm 

What is the most authoritative definitive text/book on mining in regards to my goals I wrote about here:
http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... hp?t=20727

Like I said, I looking to go from nothing (scratch) to having metals/ores/etc.. I am already a member of a survivalist forum to take care of my potentially most basic needs for survival. Next on the list would be to find out how to get metals/ores via mining to form into tools to build more complex tools and then build more complex machines. Right behind woodworking, everything begins with mining/metal-working. But I am already a member of a machinist forum as well so I don't wish to discuss that aspect here. They have recommended that I start my study, regarding their specialties on their forum, by reading "The Machinery's Handbook" and "The Modern Blacksmith" however those books assume a lot. i.e. someone is providing me with metals/ores and other things as well.

So, what text do I need to obtain regarding mining to help me in project here? Something that explains how to do it (process) and equally important why that particular process is done that way (history). What primitive problems necessitated the specific use of that particular process and so on. thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:53 am 

The best thing to do I guess is to ask about it from an expert who stays in your local area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:56 pm 

Mining expert in Hawaii? I am almost positive that there aren't any here but I will try to look around a bit. There has to be a book that explains this for a layman... :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

I guess the main question I have, are you looking for information that pertains to the type of mining that takes place in Hawaii\ or are you looking more in terms of any general type of mining? And if you were talking in terms of mining in general, usually the practices are different depending on the type of mining. While I am certainly far from an expert in Hawaii, from my understanding the majority of mining which takes place in Hawaii is mostly quarrying of stone. There has been some gemstone mining, but they are more than likely from quarries. This type of mining follows almost entirely different practices than any type of under ground mining. Thus any research material would be very different.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:38 am 

Well how about a book on either or both of them? Or you could just post a text that explains clearly (idiot-proof) how to go about doing it (mining) primitively in a general way. Because like I said, I can't find anything except for "De Re Metallica" and that is very dated. I am also thinking about giving the Colorado School of Mines a call since I am having absolutely no luck with this so far. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

I guess my point was there really is no "General Mining" as each type of mining is different. While different underground methods of mining are more similar, they are still very different.. I was kind of interested in more specifics of what type of mining you were looking for.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:14 pm 

I'm going to look up the different types of mining and see which applies closely to what I'm looking for here. I'll get back to you shortly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:02 am 
Site Admin

I think perhaps the author of your stated textbook could very well someday be you, by coalescing your research from various sources into a concise book. I think unless there is a practical need to write such a general book, it may indeed be very difficult to find. Now if there was only such a book written to illustrate the construction of the pyramids, instead of hypotheses... How about building a primitive computer while stranded on an island?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:38 pm 

Quote:
I think unless there is a practical need to write such a general book, it may indeed be very difficult to find. Now if there was only such a book written to illustrate the construction of the pyramids, instead of hypotheses... How about building a primitive computer while stranded on an island?

Yeah, I guess that could be me one day, I suppose. But at the present time, I'm getting nowhere with this and it is so strange. If explaining how to mine to someone is so difficult (or am I misunderstanding something?....) then how do you all do your day to day activities? Surely it can't be that hard to explain to a layman. I am probably way off here but I'm just a bit irritated that as hard as I am trying to find answers and do research to gain knowledge, no-one seems to know anything about this. Almost as if the knowledge is actually lost and non-existent anymore. But I'm sure someone knows I just have to find that guy/gal... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

I was trying to point out that as technology progresses, we build upon existing technologies while losing an understanding of where we started. Eventually we progress to a point where we can no longer fix our own cars, understand how a modern phone aka cell phone works, start a fire without lighter fluid, etc. This is not to suggest the different eras of mining are well documented -- in fact they are. There is just no quintessential book that I'm aware of that assumes you start with nothing and end up with a mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:01 pm 

Well, as an expert, what do you recommend? I have contacted a professor at the Colorado School of Mines but so far no responses. The outlook seems dark. I need some guidance. Frustrated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:49 am 
Site Admin

Woah, an expert!? Thank you but the only thing I'm an expert at is making sure I'm dressed for work each morning. :wink:

My suggestion would be to alter your approach a bit. When you contact individuals, try not to leave your question so open ended -- there may be no quintessential book about mining or that anyone knows the existence of. Mining is a very thorough subject, perhaps try to hone in on particular aspects of mining and construct a bigger picture from your accumulated understanding of the smaller parts. Don't expect all the answers to be in one convenient book. Request to setup a few 15-20 minute phone interviews with specific questions in mind and be sure to thank them for their time and credit them as necessary. Interest them in wanting to help your efforts and they will feel compelled to reply. I hope this is helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:09 pm 

@Miner Mike - Thanks for the input. I've been doing more research for the last couple of weeks. I've found out more info on my research. It pertains to Miner Greg's comment below.
Quote:
I was kind of interested in more specifics of what type of mining you were looking for.

I think I understand better what you were talking about here. When you asked about what type of mining I was looking for, you meant what type of ore(s) am I looking to mine, right? I know specifically what type of ores I want to focus on for the time being. (more later though) For now, I would like to focus on being able to mine Iron and Limestone. Those two only for now. I am on a Geology forum now reading up and getting knowledge on being able to recognize how to locate iron and limestone in the field. My knowledge of mining (extracting) would kick in after the geology (locating) phase.

So, what about iron & limestone mining on a small scale??