Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Locating mines
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:01 pm 

I am new and I haven't visited any mines yet. My question is: How do you guys locate mines? None have a listed address, or directions on how to locate them. So how do you find them?
I apologize for my n00bness, but if I want to go to any mines, I need to ask this.
Thanks in advance.
EDIT: If this is in the wrong section, could an admin move it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:21 am 

I found my first mine because I was simply told of it's existence and researched it online until I found the area in which it was located. Most of the people on here do a lot of historical research in areas with prevalent mining histories. Through visiting local historical societies they have found old maps that show the locations of the mining operations.

The majority of abandoned mines are known about by the local populace in these areas. And based on hearsay people typically research the mines and are able to determine a general area which then has to be physically searched.

It really comes down to information gathering not random exploration. There are so many good sources of information on mines that are simply not part of any written record. Really the best way to find information on these mines is to ask the people that grew up in the areas around them.

Post subject: Re: Locating mines
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:06 am 

kal301 wrote:
I am new and I haven't visited any mines yet. My question is: How do you guys locate mines? None have a listed address, or directions on how to locate them. So how do you find them?
I apologize for my n00bness, but if I want to go to any mines, I need to ask this.
Thanks in advance.
EDIT: If this is in the wrong section, could an admin move it?

My very favorite technique is by using the U.S. Geological Survey topographical maps. The maps don't show all mines (especially if they have been sealed or partly sealed) but my best guess it that they show 90% or better of them.

They also indicate whether the mine is an adit portal, a shaft, pit or quarry or a "prospect". The maps also show many other features as well including the type of terrain you will be dealing with. They are a little bit salty but well worth the investment in my opinion.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain