Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yellow Springs/ Mining Area - St. Anthonys Wilderness
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:21 pm 

Does anybody know about the mining region or history of the ver south tip of the Southern Field? I believe it was Dauphin Coal Co? (spelling?) Evidently this was the earliest area they found coal and called it St. Anthony's Wilderness.There were a few different names I came cross, Stoney Creek, Yellow Springs, and Rausch Creek/Gap. The mining ceased in the early 1850's. Maybe a little more through out the century. The appalachian Trail goes through it now and there are some pics on google of the remains - old stick front shovel, furnace chimney, foundations etc. Im just tring to find some more history on it - I found some stuff in some old mining books I have ill try to scan it and post it up, along with some maps. According to the maps the shafts and slopes were sunk/driven in the early 1800's!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~stanthonywilderness/picpage.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:21 pm 

near Fort Indiantown Gap PA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:39 pm 

You know I got to thinking about it there was a guy that had a drift or two in close to there by the name of Stump. If I had to guess it was in the 1950's maybe into the 1960's that he was in there. The really neat thing that I heard was if you took a prop that was cut for the gangway you could take it to the face 200 feet away and it would fit just the same. Also my great grandfather ran dragline for a company called fischer and williams somewhere around there in the same time frame.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:28 pm 

Yes, I have hiked/biked that area. I found the old gas powered stripping shovel, manufactured by "general", also explored the ruins of the town of cold springs on the old Reading grade which is now a trail. Saw some OLD graves and foundations, and found an old well. Also saw plenty of AMD and some AMD treatment and depressions but no entrances. There is an old stone tower (stack) that was used to ventlate a slope though up on the mountain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:40 pm 

yeah that was one of the first types of shovels that company designed i think 1927, and there is a ventilation chimney out there....is it a long walk to these sites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:18 pm 

Well we parked at gold mine road and biked in, which wasnt bad. Hiking, especially this time of year would be a chore as its 6 miles to Cold Springs ghost town, it was a resort town with locomotive shops, and further from there up the mountain to the mine ruins and shovel. The shovel is neat though and Id imagine the chimney is too. In the summer time though its a very nice bike trail, and in Cold springs there is a historical map and explanation of the town, with lots of foundations and a very old grave yard