Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Western PA Caves, Mines, Pittsburgh Iron Mines, etc.-Where??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:19 pm 

Hi, I just relocated to western PA from southeast PA and I am interested in finding old mines here north of Pittsburgh. I believe that I have already found one that has an iron door in a hillside of stone. I am close to the old Culmerville, Russelton, Bairdford PA coal mines but I am curious also about iron mines or caves that are in the area.

Does anyone know about the Kittanning Township mines north of Pittsburgh?

http://northamericanbigfoot.blogspot.co ... -2010.html

The last photo from this link shows a mine and it is in Allegheny County. Anyone know where this is?

How about Hipple Cave in Warrendale, PA. Anyone know where that is located?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:12 pm 

I find doing the research online and at the library quite rewarding. But that's just me. Have you tried a google search. Sometimes there are hidden clues.

Also, from this website:

Please do not email us for directions to, or ask for locations to any mines, these inquiries simply will not be answered. For legal and liability reasons we also can not take anyone outside of our group into any abandoned mine. We are tour guides at several anthracite mine tours and encourage a visit there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

My research started in the public library system long before the Internet took hold. I used to carry a pocket full of change in my back pocket and photocopy page after page of local history and geology books. I still get a euphoric feeling when I enter the special room in larger libraries behind lock and key, filled with a treasure trove of historic books.

Thankfully, there have been a number of historic reference materials scanned in PDF format and placed online. However, this can still be a challenge to sort through and there still is a lot that hasn't been placed online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Additionally, there is also research material that has been digitized into modern format, but it is sources which not many people know about. A big portion of the work is just finding the names of the reference material you need to be looking for, so you can do the required research for the historic site.

I remember the days too when coming to the library with a pocket full of dimes. Back in the day, that was the only way to get a full set of books!

Miner Greg

Post subject: Got it
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:56 am 

Well my online research has not gotten me anywhere since I posted this. I'm still trying to find the location of that Iron Mine listed on the Bigfoot site I linked above. If anyone knows of some cool places to check out please let me know. I'm bored trying to find some excitement around here.