Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:39 pm 

That all makes sense. The video looked like the blowout was more explosive than I would have expected.

More like a pressure seal broke or a small amount of dust lit-off. And the rock shoud not be explosive, Of course they could have drilled through a small rider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:15 pm 

So I thought most ripper miners now had roof drills mounted on the miner. If so, the miner must be some old hand me down from another mine. Also, while I worked in the Pittsburgh Seam of coal which was considered high coal, I was always told low coal mines had much better roof conditions. It sure seems the roof conditions for this mine is pretty unstable. And where are the roof support jacks when the roof bolters are bolting the cut? Yea, the drama is kicked up for tv, but the show is still great in that it allows people to see what it's really like inside a coal mine.

Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:52 pm 

Im certainly not very knowledgable on the topic, but a mine I got a tur of with the same height of coal had CM's with no roof bolter attached, roof bolters were seperate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:14 pm 

Don't recall seeing any pictures of Miner/Bolter Combinations. Now of course Pete or Coalfire will prove me wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:33 pm 

Doug some places call those miner/boltler a sattelite miners. Consol likes using them. Some places use them in real bad top so, they can stick a bolt up before it falls. I think it is one more link in the chain to fail and screw up the whole deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:02 pm 

Cobalt has not confirmed on their website or FB. But one source is reporting their miner broke down. (I wouldn't bet on Season 2. Their stock has taken two major hits in the past couple of weeks. Now production could be down of an extended period.

5/18/2011 12:04:15 PM CALGARY, ALBERTA, May 18, 2011 (Marketwire via COMTEX News Network) --
Cobalt Coal Corp. ("Cobalt" or the "Company") (TSX VENTURE:CBT), announces a significant machine malfunction at its Westchester Mine. During the evening of May 17th, the main shaft of the continuous miner severed causing the separation of the cutter heads from the machine.

While management is investigating alternatives, difficulty in sourcing replacement parts may necessitate a re-build of the continuous miner which could take 1-2 weeks during which time operations at the mine will be shutdown. Management will provide further updates as information becomes available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:10 pm 

Coalfire wrote:
Doug some places call those miner/boltler a sattelite miners. Consol likes using them. Some places use them in real bad top so, they can stick a bolt up before it falls. I think it is one more link in the chain to fail and screw up the whole deal.

Once again I humbly sit corrected. :cry:

http://www.joy.com/en/Joy/Products/Entr ... Bolter.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:28 pm 

OK I thought these ppl were just dumb for TV. Now with statements like this it is confirmed. I'm sure UG mech will back me up with this(I know he has worked on a 1410) CHANGING A HEAD OUT DOES NOT TAKE 1-2 WEEKS. I have done a complete change in little over 2 shifts. This is insane. I bought some of their stock(MISTAKE). If you can't make money in this coal market especially when you are 700 feet underground then you will never make money. No wonder Tom has been broke twice before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:44 pm 

I wondered about the line: "difficulty in sourcing replacement parts".

Really? !! How many Joy Miners are in Southern WVa? A few dozen I would think. Unless this is some old, oddball model. And Joy isn't that far away, I can't remember, but they have a region office close and there is at least one independant Company in Beckley that rebuilds miners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:49 pm 

The Joy CM combos with the bolters are very cool but it is like Lannie said if it breaks the entire thing goes down. Maybe on the PLC computer it will allow you to mine seperatelty without using the bolter in a pinch and use a seperate bolting machine though....Not sure.....I still have not seen single episode of Coal yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:03 am 

Coalfire wrote:
OK I thought these ppl were just dumb for TV. Now with statements like this it is confirmed. I'm sure UG mech will back me up with this(I know he has worked on a 1410) CHANGING A HEAD OUT DOES NOT TAKE 1-2 WEEKS. I have done a complete change in little over 2 shifts. This is insane. I bought some of their stock(MISTAKE). If you can't make money in this coal market especially when you are 700 feet underground then you will never make money. No wonder Tom has been broke twice before.

:lol: weve changed complete cutter head packages in 4 hrs, and that was taking our time! i just about fell out of my chair (laughing) when i heared they were getting a whole new miner due to a head issue! after all that crying about money, they buy a NEW (not rebuilt) miner from Joy!? ive never been that upscale... every new miner weve gotten has been a rebuild from phillips machine in beckley... maybe Joy was the only place that would finance them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:05 pm 

That was not a new miner. A 1410AA will set you back more than 600k. That miner was bought from Rockhouse Creek Developement and rebuilt by Joy. That was all pre-arranged. I used to work for Rockhouse and my best Friends brother is the head of Maintanance for them and he sold them the miner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:13 pm 

My limited experience is deep mines run around 52 degrees. Warm enough to be comfortable in a shirt, etc.

Why are the guys on the show dress like this mine is much colder. I assume it is because this mine is less than 1000 feet from portal to face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:27 pm 

doug, i remember drilling the first few rock holes off the skidmore at brownies up to the mammoth. 300 feet down the slope, 100 feet on the gangway. directly on the intake air, in winter time....... was fn cold!!! never you mind the water pissing jackleg!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:41 pm 

If the intake air has not been exposed to a long run in the mine it should track the outside temp. Just has never given it much thought.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next