Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KEMI mine rescue comp. pikeville
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:02 am 

i was just informed by bobby swisher of TnDOL div. of mines (my mine rescue instructor) that i have been selected to our team that will be attending the comp july 12, 13, 14... just wondering if any of you guys will be attending too. i hope to meet some of you there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:43 pm 

UGMech,

Congratulations and good luck. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:20 pm 

Sorry, won't be there. Since I left the mines can't find any team to be on since most are company teams now and less indepedent teams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:36 pm 

There is the wild idea of a UGM Rescue Competition Team. If we weren't spread all over creation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:22 pm 

thanks guys! just returned from the comptition, and we did well... not as well as i had hoped for, but the team we took was made up of members of BOTH of our teams and we only had one chance to practice together to try to get some kind of cooperation, and that is very important! the problem we had on the first day of competition had ALOT of gas placards, in one crosscut for instance we encountered 3 different cards an empty rescue alternative with both doors open then 2 more cards! five gas changes in one crosscut! we timed out on this problem. ended up with 39 docs. :(

day 2 (today) we worked the problem perfectly until we got to team stop #12 when the judge handed us a paper stating that we have heared what sounded like a large roof fall then we lost all communication with the fresh air base... we retreated back to 3D only to find the roof fall had blocked our only exit point, we decided to air lock in and advance into 3 entry... then we were handed another paper stating 3 had cut outside and were now outside, follow the judge to the fresh air base where we repaired the communication and proceeded inside to finish the problem, we were able to rescue the only survivor and get back to the fresh air base with 3 seconds to spare! phew!

after the day one problem had ended we asked one of the judges for any advise he could offer for the future... our team captain understood the judge to state that we didnt have to break the outby imaginary line as we made our way across the crosscut, so in an effort to save some time today we bypassed the headings as directed only to STACK up some docs from todays judge! :roll: so after working a VERY challenging problem we ended up with 55 docs, 20 something of which were due to the bad information.

needless to say, weve decided to adhere to the contest rules no exceptions!