Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:03 pm 

I'll give you my $.02 FWIW.

If you're talking a small UG mine in W/KY you'll require several or all of the following.

1. Approved mining permit with KY DNR, or who ever their regulatory agency is. Not sure how fast KY government works but these seem to be taking a couple years in IL.
2. Approved MSHA roof control Plan.
3. Approved MSHA ventilation Plan
4. MSHA ERP (emergency response plan / tracking plan)
5. MSHA 1502 plan,
6. EPA air permit, if you have a stacker on the surface.
7. EPA NPDES if you discharge any water off property. These are a PITA to acquire.
8. A PE to stamp maps.
9. SPCC plan

That's just to get started and is assuming you don't have a wash plant or slurry impoundment. Once you get going, keep in mind you'll need a tracking system, rescue chambers, SCSR's, and a host of other crap to comply with the new regs. This is also assuming you've already acquired the coal rights.

A new CM is running close to $2mil. Bolters are 200k or so, same for coal haulers.

While this might start to seem daunting, your biggest issue will probably be finding experienced workers. You'll need a few papered people for examiners, a carded electrician, and people that know how to run equipment. In you're neck of the woods, you'll be competing with companies that can afford to pay well. There are a couple of Alliance mines near you. One of their big selling points is 100% medical. Also, keep in mind that these days out-of-work miners are unemployed for a reason. All the good ones already have jobs. I've seen exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Will all the new regs that have been passed the last couple years, I think it's nearly driven the small guy out of business. I'm not saying it couldn't be done. But you'd better have a damn good plan and not expect it to happen overnight.

That's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.