Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EXCELLENT article on old Branchville Mica Mine Geology
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:52 pm 

Check out this article on the Branchville Mica Mine!

http://www.minsocam.org/MSA/collectors_ ... hville.htm

This place is fascinating and the article on it gives good information on the geologic history of the deposit and the minerals that may be found there.

If you didn't already know, the Branchville Mica Mine is a long-lost Connecticut mica mine in Pegmatite where several unusual phosphates of lithium, iron, and manganese were discovered by Yale proffesors at the turn of the century. It was recently re-discovered by some of the CT Miners. It is widely considered among collectors as being one of the most important east-coast locations for minerals due to it's extensive deposits of altered Spodumene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:43 am 

:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:38 am 

Thats a great article Jeremy, I knew practically nothing about this mine before, supposedly, like the brewster mine, there is a building nearby which you can access one of the drifts from, have you ever found any info on Lanes mine? all I know is that it was operated before the 1940s. -Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:10 pm 

All I know about lane's mine is that it's the type locality for the mineral tungstite- WO2(OH)2, I did an extensive search for information on that mine but I found nothing besides the obvious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:22 pm 

Hahahaha...

Ok, first off, Branchville is not a town, it's part of the town of Ridgefield. I live in Ridgefield, actually, in the Branchville part of Ridgefield, 5 minutes away from the train station that is next to the mine. Anyone interested in meeting up and exploring? I know the area quite well, I've lived here all my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:28 pm 

Hell yes! I can't do it saturday but maybe sunday. I'll talk to Miner CT Mike and we'll see what the deal is. Where do you want to meet? Oh and I thought Branchville is part of Redding. I have to correct the Mindat entry now. you ever go rockhounding there? I actually just saw a specimen from there- Triploidite it's one of the rare Manganese phosphates. I would have bought it but.......It costs 300 dollars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:29 am 

I would like to go, but this weekend is Marcs Blast Furnaces! Tour, so I probably wont get a chance. -Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:31 am 

Mike, we should schedule it for another week when we can all do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:25 pm 

Well, to clarify, Branchville is mostly in Ridgefield, but a small portion of it lies in Redding, it's pretty much the valley where the Norwalk River flows through, and the Ridgefield-Redding line is on top of the north hill. Anyhow, we should reschedule, I might be able to do this weekend, but I'm not entirely sure since it's my brother's 21st birthday.

Post subject: Re: EXCELLENT article on old Branchville Mica Mine Geology
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:30 am 

What are some good colleges for geology? I am really interested in geology and I am giving it serious consideration for a possible career choice. So anyone know which college is good for geology? Thanks!