Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Koehler mine safety lights
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:17 pm 

Hi. I have been a coal miner since 1977, in the past years they have done away with koehler mine safety lights, this year I had a Cub Scout leader ask to use some mine stuff, well got out a few hats, buckets, belts, and them safety lights out, well I filled them lights with lighter fluid and tryed to light them and I got 2 strikes and the flints were gone, can anyone let me know were I can get them flints. I have been looking on the Internet for hours with no luck.

Post subject: Re: Koehler mine safety lights
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:14 pm 

When I repaired mine I just found regular cigarette lighter flints. But with disposable lighters these may be hard to find.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:17 pm 

Drew,

Welcome to the discussion. When you get time, let us know about your mining experiences and where you are at ( in general terms is fine).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:45 am 

Doug wrote:
Drew,

Welcome to the discussion. When you get time, let us know about your mining experiences and where you are at ( in general terms is fine).

well Doug, like I said I started in the coal mine in 1977, as a white cap, did gil work on a section then learned how to roof bolt,after getting my black cap I run buggie, and the miner, then got a motorman bid, after 3 years at Robena # 3 I got laidoff, was off work for 6 months and then got called to USS Cumberland in Kirby Pa. in 1980, these mines are in southwestern Pa. Iv'e been at Cumberland mine since, well I lost 6 years at Cumberland they had a big layoff 1986, got call back in 92 and still working today, right now Im a weekend warior only working 3 days and I'm a rock dust motorman, I have been making plans to retire in 2013, I forgot to say both mines that I worked at are deep mines, 6 1/2 foot coal seam. Alot of guys have been retiring,and they have hired alot of young guys,

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:00 pm 

Welcome aboard Drew. I hope your plans for retirement hold true. It would be nice to hear more about your experiences in the bituminous fields of Pa.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:48 pm 

Doug wrote:
When I repaired mine I just found regular cigarette lighter flints. But with disposable lighters these may be hard to find.

Thanks Doug will have to try them flints

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:06 pm 

I restored my carbide with flints as Doug said. You will most likely need to get them at a tobacco shop as I did, as none of the gas stations here had any. But I was happy to find that they are actually pretty cheap. I got Zippo reloads, they come in a little clear wheel dispenser to make it easy to get one flint out at a time, and if I recall you're only looking at about 2 bucks.