Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My First Restoration Project
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:03 pm 

I've owned this Greensburg for a couple of months now. In April it will make the journey of 160 miles to my home. Then the hard work will begin. She's in quite good shape. Nothing is siezed. There's no serious corrosion. But, as you can see the battery box and batteries are missing.

The only issue is that I have no idea when my locomotive was manufactured. As soon as she's home I will be able to locate the maker's plate and serial number. Then I will have a starting point.

Meester Teem.

Post subject: Re: My First Restoration Project
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:59 pm 

We will try to help you out. Send us some info on it. Looks in great shape. Our group has the Greensburg builders records. We need the mine name, location, track gauge etc. email us at ohiovintagecoal@yahoo.com

Thanks Pete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:08 pm 

cool! good luck, thats a good looking greensburg. if anyone can help you its pete.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:35 pm 

Hello gentlemen,

On new years day I spent a few hours dropping the wheel sets. My Greensburg chassis now sits on timbers less the wheels, axles and transmission. The trailing wheel set is ready to be sent away for wheel re-profiling. I was hoping to send the leading wheel set away too. But, I cannot get the gearbox stripped off the driven axle....

At the weekend, I attempted to strip the gearbox from the driven axle. What could possibly go wrong I thought. After all, it’s only a few bolts....

To remove the top half of the gearbox casing - two axle bearing seal retainers need to be removed. These retainers are one piece circular collars, through which the driven axle passes. No problem I thought. Undo the fasteners for the collars and lift away the gearbox casings and tie the two collars back whilst machining. The gearbox, as I’m sure you’ll know, is sat to one side of the driven axle to make room for the chain drive sprocket. The gearbox is so far over that I cannot remove the axle bearing seal retainer fasteners. The bolts can be turned and undone. However, they can only be withdrawn a quarter of an inch before fouling on the rear of the driving wheel central boss.

From this situation, I can only assume that the gearbox was assembled around the driving axle before the driving wheels were pressed on.

Have any of you come across this type of arrangement before?
Is it a Greensburg thing??
Is there a solution???

Yours, in damp old England,

Meester Teem.