Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally starting career in coal
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:40 am 

Havent posted here in a while, but just wanted to say that I am excited to be starting work in march at Consol Energy in Washington Pa. I was hired as an industrial engineer Underground operations, part of there underground supervisor training program. There are expanding there Bailey and Enlow Fork mines which are already the largest in the US. Very excited, does anyone have any input on Consol Energy? Also they are hiring over 300 workers asap if anyone is looking.

Post subject: Re: Finally starting career in coal
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:40 am 

hey mike, good for you! thats exciting. im pretty sure bella interned there while in college and i think pete jedlica had something to do with them for a bit as well. anyways, keep us posted.........

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:55 am 
Congrats on finding a job that you wanted in such uncertain times! Good luck, and god speed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:21 pm 

I interned with Alpha Natural Resources, one summer in Southern WV, this past summer in Waynesburg Pa. at the Emerald mine (20min south of Washington) not this summer in working for Consol at McElroy mine in WV

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 pm 

I work with/know several ex Consol employees including the nephew of Ralph Bailey, for whom the Bailey mine is named. With one exception, everyone I know work at their mines (long closed) in Southern Illinois.

Good luck with the new job.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:15 am 

Yes I am lucky to finally have a job in this economy.The position is not located at any one mine although I will be reporting to the hallam portal in eighty four pa. I will be traveling to different mines as needed for the first 6-18 months. The goal is to move on to mine maintenance supervisor trainee. There are in need of certified supervisors. I was told that WV requires only one year experience+ engineering degree, while PA is 3 years expereience plus engineering degree.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:48 am 
Well, as Scott K. (I think) says, "Watch your top". Again, Good Luck and God Speed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:15 pm 

Mike,
Well Done!!! Good luck in your new job. Show those guys what a boy from the land of antracite could do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:11 pm 

I have to buy steel toe boots with metatarsal gaurd. I steel toe boots, but they say I need a pair with metatarsal gaurd. Does and one have any suggestions for companies that make a good boot for ugm. When I was doing contstruction i always wore danners but they dont make a boot like that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:45 pm 

I have a pair of Matterhorns that I like real well, but I can't compare them since they are the only ones I have had.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:53 pm 

I think the last three pairs of boots I've bought were Matterhorns. The last pair I bought a size larger and wider and added an additional gel insert. That has worked well for me. However, I spend much, much, more time in the office behind a computer than I do underground.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:59 pm 

Well just got really bad news today. Apparently Consol has resended my offer due to a disorderly conduct I had 4 years ago and failed to disclose, and came up during my background check . I did not disclose this because it was only a summary offense, and pleaded my case with them to no avail. Never new coal companies were so god damn strick. After all this now time wasted with Consol now I have to move on. This is crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:07 am 
That sucks. Tough luck, man. Good luck at finding a different job. I personally think that you got screwed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:35 am 

muleboymike wrote:
Havent posted here in a while, but just wanted to say that I am excited to be starting work in march at Consol Energy in Washington Pa. I was hired as an industrial engineer Underground operations, part of there underground supervisor training program. There are expanding there Bailey and Enlow Fork mines which are already the largest in the US. Very excited, does anyone have any input on Consol Energy? Also they are hiring over 300 workers asap if anyone is looking.

Do they employ the use of rail at all in either of these two underground mines?

I would've loved to have been an underground mining engineer. That way you get to do all the *FUN* stuff without the back breaking labor. It's probably still a little bit dangerous but just enough so to make it fun.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain