Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Can anyone ID this Storage Battery Locomotive?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:23 pm 
that is about it. I think that Model Railroader could use a few more layout articles on narrow gauge. you forgot S. S is about half way between HO and O. That is why some people use HO scale detail parts on S scale models. My grandpa's American Flyer (the A.C. Gilbert, not the newer Lionel) is S, and some of the handles that were used as a ladder on one of the PA's were missing, so we used some HO grab-irons for the steps on the loco, and you cannot tell which ones were the factory, and which ones were the replacements.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:31 pm 

I'm not familiar with the width of the S gauges, but the motor mechanism from the cable car doesn't look like something that can easily be narrowed down. Also, the wheel width isn't even close to lining up with the model. The body sits so low at this point that unless you are looking at the model from track level you can't tell. My proposed layout has the thing running out of a tunnel, through a yard, into a buiding (where it re-enters the mountain out of sight) so that particular detail won't be noticed. But if you're modeling exactly, then yes that will be an issue. It was a fun model to build. I put some black and brown spots all around it, wet it when the paint dried and sprinkled some fine salt onto it. Then spray-painted it yellow. When the paint dries, you flake the salt off and you have chips and dents, with the exposed black and "rust" underneath. Nice technique.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:05 pm 
What I do is paint the model with a wash of rust colored paint (I use the water-based stuff), like you, and when that is dry, I put some rubber cement over the area that I want rusted. after I apply the top coat and that is dry, I take a pencil eraser and us it to remove the top coat of paint, exposing the rust color. This technique is very useful for showing areas of a wood building that the paint has come off, exposing the wood. It is also useful for when you want a building (Like a gravel company [which I happen to be working on as we speak, I'm just waiting for the glue to dry before I continue painting]) where there have been multiple coats of paint in different colors. I paint one color, put on the cement, paint another color, and so on, until the desired effect is achieved. The model, Walther's Glacier Gravel Company kitbashed together with a porotion of the New River Mine,is in the process of being repainted by a new owner. I plan on using a pair of narrow gauge 0-4-0s and 4 cars each to take gravel from the pit, which I am modeling (because I can, and it seldom is), to the crusher building up a 5% grade :!: with a switch-back. I will use "live loads", which are gravel screenings from a stone pit that my dad used to drive for. I have to figure out how to load the cars with out using my hand, but I have figured out how to dump them automatically. They will be in the crusher building, so no one will see the wire ramp that is going to catch the sides of the cars. If you need a visual of what I am talking about, go to the following address: www.carendt.com/microplans/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 pm 

Miner Dave wrote:
Cool! Pictures of the layout would be neat! (I, for one, would love to see a track plan. I like to study other people's track designs to see how they compare to my own)

Hi Dave,

Sorry it took so long for me to get back, I’ve been really busy with my second job (I have three total), and just haven’t had the time.

Anyway, this modular layout hooks into my ‘S-Mod’ standard club layout via that dual track section on module #1.

While I’m still detailing them, I’ve completed the trackwork on modules #1 and #2 and the benchwork for #6. I’m just waiting for the Sn2/Sn3 into Standard Gauge, Triple Gauge merge to arrive from Railway Engineering before I start laying track on this module.

Since this layout plan was created mostly to map out the Dual and Triple Gauge turnouts I will need, I didn’t include the WPY Utah (Ore) Terminal, or Skagway Ore Docks which will be located in the northern part of the WPY (Green) loop.

Enjoy

Attachments:
Layout Plan.png
Layout Plan.png [ 33 KiB | Viewed 31681 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:33 pm 
I'm confused. Why is there standard gauge when the WPY is the only railroad in the area, and it is 3-foot gauge? is the wharf part of your home layout that the modules will plug into?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:39 pm 

Dave,

I’m engaging in a little “scenic compression” to incorporate various scenic elements I like and operations I want to create.

While there is a Dual Gauge section on the WPY, the standard gauge runs the length of a concrete pier, which built for the military, but is now used by cruise ships. As far as I know, the Standard Gauge rail has never been used.

Specifically, this modular layout will link up to my clubs layout, which is set in the ‘lower 48’, pass through Galt, Ont. to get to the Valdez rail barge facility (which, in reality, traveled from the barge facility to the pipeline construction site, and no-where else), it will then travel to Wasilla where the WPY, running Dual Gauge with the Sn24 cannery railroad, will merge with the Standard Gauge, to create Triple Gauge.

The Triple Gauge will pass near the cannery, where an Sn24 line will split off to run directly to the cannery, and the Triple Gauge will continue to the Alaska Museum of Transportation and Industry.

A WPY Sn36 line will branch off immediately prior to the Museum and loop around, pausing at the Utah Ore Terminal, before heading to the Skagway Ore Docks, and back around to the Sn3/Sn2 merge.