Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joy # 7 Drill
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:04 pm 

Newbie on the forum. I'm a geotechnical consultant (Ph.D. in geology). Am in the process of acquiring a 1955 Willys-pickup-mounted core/mud-rotary drill rig with lots of accessories (including 300 ft. each of drill string for mud-rotary and 300 feet of coring casing and at least two wire-line core barrels, numerous tri-cone bits, and a few coring bits). Truck has been sitting in a barn for the last 28 years, but I have managed to get the Super-Hurricane engine running smoothly on all six. Need to work on brakes next. Have been trying to figure out details about the drill rig which has two labels on it. One is a Joy Manufacturing (Michigan City Indiana, USA) label (says "Size 7" and "Shop Number 8088") the other is a "Mayhew" (Dallas Texas) label. Have been in contact with both Mayhew/DSM and Joy Global. The Mayhew guy said he didn't think it was a Mayhew designed rig (he's right) and the Joy guy has little information as their core drilling division was sold 25 to 30 years ago. So when I Googled Joy #7, your blog came up with a picture of the gas-powered #7 and that's definitely it. So I suspect Mayhew just took it off whatever skid it was originally mounted on (the mud pump and its motor are still mounted to a skid that is mounted to a 4-wheel trailer) and made a frame to fit the Willys 1-ton. The Willys has 620 original miles on it - it was trailered everywhere, but the rig doesn't strike me as having that many hours on it either. I'm getting it from a now 93-year-old geologist/rancher who used it a little around here (Eugene, Oregon) in the 1960s through mid-80s and he apparently got it from a company he worked for prospecting for uranium in Idaho.

Anyway, my plan is to get the mud- and grease-encrusted drill rig cleaned, into operational status and use it for some of my jobs when a hand auger won't quite do the trick. Right now I'm not sure if it'll need parts - I see nothing obvious so out of shape that it shouldn't work - except the single cylinder mud-pump-engine which is frozen (will have to have that re-bored if possible). But I'd like to know if any of you have any more information on these Joy rigs, like when they were made and who, if anyone acquired the plans and records for them from Joy Manufacturing....Who knows, maybe I'll even be able to get a copy of a manual (yeah right....) if I can track this stuff down.

Thanks
Gunnar

Post subject: Re: Joy # 7 Drill
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:27 pm 

Hi welcome to the forum! Do you have any photos I'd love to see this setup!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:20 am 

I think I figured out how to attach some photos. As I said - I'll have to steam clean it to get rid of years of Oregon algal slime, grease, and dirt. I'll be incommunicado for the next two days. Looking forward to what you guys might come up with.

Thanks
Gunnar

Attachments:
IMG_0343.jpg
IMG_0343.jpg [ 377.97 KiB | Viewed 66905 times ]
IMG_0344.jpg
IMG_0344.jpg [ 336.84 KiB | Viewed 66905 times ]
IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0331.JPG [ 392.18 KiB | Viewed 66905 times ]
IMG_0330.JPG
IMG_0330.JPG [ 366.28 KiB | Viewed 66905 times ]
IMG_0329.JPG
IMG_0329.JPG [ 354.02 KiB | Viewed 66905 times ]
IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG [ 412.4 KiB | Viewed 66905 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:56 am 
The truck it is attached to, was that military surplus? The Willys name makes me think of a willys jeep.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum and a very neat find! It is great that you are looking into putting it back into operation. Ohio Pete (Rail Haulage Miners) from Ohio Vintage Coal may have one of those as he posted up the images of the Joy #7 and the Sullivan drill. Perhaps he will chime in if he has more information.

Miner Greg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:42 pm 

I'll second the notion-- Welcome to the Forum.

This will be an interesting project to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:46 am 
I agree. Welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:04 pm 

All: Thanks for the welcome. Miner Dave: The truck is indeed a Willys Jeep pickup. It shares some components with some Jeep CJ vehicles (the early versions had the same 134-ci Go Devil engine and they have the same transmission and transfer case, similar axles and hubs). But I don't think it was military surplus. It's an original civilian vehicle. They started building these in 1947 I think, along with the Willys Jeep Wagon and continued through 1964. It's a 4x4 and geared for off-road. This one doesn't even have lock-out hubs, although it can be taken out of 4WD with the transfer case. Max speed without overdrive should be around 45 - 50. But of course in 4WD-Low it's made for pulling stumps...And its flathead Super Hurricane 226-ci engine has the impressively high compression ratio of 6.68:1 (heh heh). Better buy premium fuel? Just kidding.

More later as it develops. Still hoping for more info on the Joy #7...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:22 pm 
Thanks. I hope that you are able to dig up some more information on this interesting piece of equipment. My I ask what you plan to do with it once it is operational? How many miles are on the truck?

*Edit* The pun was unintentional. I noticed it after I posted.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:24 pm 

Sorry - too many things going on at once. To answer your questions: Once I have it operational I do intend to use it to drill holes to see what's down below. Up to now I have had to either hand-auger (I can go to 24 feet in the right material) or call in a drill rig. Now, I shouldn't have to call in drill rigs anymore and I may bring the rig to some jobs where I would previously have hand-augered. The truck's odometer says 620 miles...it's been trailered just about everywhere during its former life. I might have to do the same thing. It's not built for today's highway speeds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:40 pm 
So you will trailer it out to the site, and drive it to the location where you will drill, correct? for a vehicle that old, 620 miles is amazingly low.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:34 am 
How is the search for info coming? I also must ask, is this what they call a "Fort Worth Spudder"?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:56 pm 

Dave, a spudder is a cable tool well drilling rig. It uses weight to punch a hole in the ground. There is no bit that turns

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:51 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyu_wvyqHSM

Here is a video of a cable tool rig in action drilling a water well. Oil wells were drilled in the same manner except withlarger equipment. Water wells are still drilled this way in the south.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:40 am 
Thank you for clearing that up.