Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Charlotte Mine Article from 1981
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:35 pm 

Just thought you guys would like the following article I found on the Charlotte Uranium Mine!

The Region; Jersey Will Close Abandoned Mine
Published: August 20, 1981
TRENTON (UPI) - State officials said they would seal an abandoned uranium mine in Sussex County because of potential safety problems. The mine, which ceased operations in the 1960's, is on state-owned land near Cranbury Lake, within the proposed boundries of the Allamuchy Mountain State Park.

State Park Service officials said they planned to seal the mine at the recommendation of the State Department of Environmental Protection.

A department report released in June cited saftey hazards, including unprocessed uranium ore outside the mine and several open mine shafts. The ore has been emitting low level radition but poses no health problem, according to the Park Service.

Park Service officials said they planned to return the ore to the mine before it is sealed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

Very interesting, but there are still a few very large tailings piles outside of that mine. I'm sure they are emitting low levels of uranium. It would be interesting one day going back with a geiger counter to determine the levels present there. We didn't really do a good accessment to determine if there were any dump piles left, but there probably could be some uranium ore left outside.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:09 am 
Site Admin

"The ore has been emitting low level radiation but poses no health problem" is not surprising considering the mine was unsuccessful because of its low quality of ore.

Miner Mike