Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pahaquarry venture..
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:04 pm 

Any of you guys interested in researching the second adit in Pahaquarry? We can bunch it in with the "Lost Mine" over in stokes..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:15 am 

theres the main adit were all familiar with, and a second one which is enterable. The colonial is the third one and is quite aways off, not sure what state its in. You know there are 2 entereable ones right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:13 am 

Miner Dan,

I would be interested in researching more of Pahaquarry soon. I need to take more pictures up there. I would have no problem checking out the Lost Mine over in stokes the same day. We will need to contact Miner Mike and ask him when he can go. Talk to ya soon,

Miner Bond 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:33 am 

Miner Bond, The second adit is barely visible, they made allot of effort to hide this adit real good for some reason. It appeared to go in quite aways and hooked to the right.

See my shot of the remaining adit here:

http://www.abandonedmines.net/pahaquarry/P6242012.JPG

Then there is the colonial adit. Total of 3 adits, and one collapsed shaft i had found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:33 am 

Hey Dan,

Yeah I have explored this adit entrance. Yeah over time the mountain is swallowing it. I remember seeing lots of bats the last time exploring it. I also have explored the lower adit entrance. You know about the upper inclined stope? I have seen the collapsed shaft but not the third adit entrance. I would like to see it next time up there. I will be talking to Miner Mike this week about his mining schedule. Thanks

Miner Bond 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:21 pm 

No im not familiar with the inclined stope.. is it enterable? Where is it!

Since youve explored the upper adit, did it go in as far as the lower one? i did not check it out since I was alone the time I went there, and could tell the condition of it wasnt the best.

The 3rd adit is about 300 feet from the upper one. i never went looking for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

The inclined slope is open but rather steep. I'll show it to you when we hit Pahaquarry. The upper adit does not go in very far at all -- maybe half the distance of the adit tunnel at the lower level. I remember seeing them both in the early 90's when they had wooden doors in front of them. Tours used to be given.

Miner Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:31 pm 

Sup Mike,

Glad that you posted back to Dan about what is up there at Pahaquarry. I had to think about it a minute. It's been awhile since I was there and didn't want to post the wrong info.
Let me know when you can get together to go back to Pahaquarry? I could meet you and Dan up there after work some night during the week or wait until a weekend day is free. Let me know when you can do it.

Miner Bond 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

I will probably be free Wed night if you guys are meeting somewhere... Not sure about Thursday night and I will not be around Friday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Wednesday (today) is bad for me. Maybe this coming Monday after work or Tuesday? Remember the days are a little shorter now.

Miner Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:43 pm 

Yeah gotta love the days getting shorter! Soon there will be snow! Haaa. Just so you know that this Friday is open and Sunday to. Let me know.
Thanks

Miner Bond :D

Post subject: Something rather neat to see .......
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:25 pm 

If you go inside the upper adit, you will see a plaque cemented to a base made from a bucket and concrete. The plaque mentions something about a wedding - possibly there vows. I took a picture years ago and it still was there last year. have fun !! The lower mine may still be open - unless they counted bats this year and re-closed the mine with a new lock- heheh :)

Post subject: The Mine Plaque
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

I have seen the plaque and it certainly was interesting to see something like this in none other than an abandoned copper mine! The lower adit is still unlocked. It only needs to be locked during the winter time while the bats are hibernating in it. During the summer the bats are out of hibernation.

Miner Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:38 pm 

Mike,

Next time you want to go to paha let me know. I want to take better pictures. And look around more up there. Email me when ya can.

Miner Bond 8)