Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Theall-McCollum Mine (Brewster NY, Putnam County)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:34 pm 

Hey there, I'm new to your site and I love it. I'm looking for some specific information on the Theall-McCollum Mine. Apparently these mines were once seperate but later connected underground. I have crude GPS coordinates:

Theall Mine: 41°22'N , 73°35'W
McCollum Mine: 41°21'N , 73°39'W
obtained from mindat.org

but I'm looking for some more specific information about where they are located. I believe the enterance to the McCollum mine is somewhere around the Croton Fallas Reservoir off of Magnetic Mine Rd or Lower Mine Rd. I'm wondering if anyone has been to these mines as I am very interested in finding their enterances because I have been told that they are over 80-100 feet high and 30-50 feet wide adit type enterances.

I'm also looking for any information about the mines located under the town of Brewster NY named Cheever Mine and Durant Mine. I also have a GPS coordinates of that mine: 41°23'50"N , 73°37'3"W.

If anyone has any specifics about how to get to the enterances or more specific coordinates, it would be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:11 pm 

Hi Mike- You should check out our website for some pictures from these and many other mines in putnam county. Our group is based in CT but the iron mines of putnam county NY is our area of expertise. -Mike

http://hometown.aol.com/oldclock50/then ... orers.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:34 am 

Very cool, would it be possible for you to pm/email me directions as to how to get to the enterance of some of those (specifically the Croton Magnetic Mine (which is the same as the Theall-McCollum mine, and the Brewster mine as mensioned above)? The reason I ask for those is because I know the general area that they are located in very well, I have hiked all around those hills. Also, would your group be interested in meeting up with me and a friend of mine some time for an exploration?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:03 pm 

be carefull at the croton mag. mine, I sent you a pm with more info.