Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mt Hope, NJ mine confusion
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:28 pm 

Can someone help with accurate names to some of the open features remaining in the Mt. Hope area? I understand the open pit SW of the pond is the Elizabeth Mine. What about the open shaft to the north...is this Taylor or something else? The other is just a subsidence into workings but I'd appreciate knowing what workings that connects into if it can be deduced.

Thanks,
JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:35 am 

Elizabeth is south west of the pond, as you proceed southwest from Elizabeth, the mines are called Teabo, Allan, Richard. And it just keeps going down beyond that to Dolan, then the Wharton mines.

North of Elizabeth you have the Carlton shaft, then Finley, then brown, fowler, and spencer shafts.

there is even more which is not seen. Check out my report on Mount Hope here:

Brown and New Leonard: http://www.abandonedmines.net/mounthope.htm

Finley: http://www.abandonedmines.net/Finley.htm

Eliz Air Shaft: http://www.abandonedmines.net/elizabeth.htm

Post subject: carlyon/finley
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:20 pm 

ok...been to the finley...that's a relatively new feature 6-10 yearas old. I'm really talking about the open pit fenced off just 1000 feet or so north of what you're calling the finley shaft. This is an actual shaft in good condition (the rock had been squared off ). The "finley" shaft as well as the Elizabeth shaft look more like nasty collapse features compared to this other pit.

The "other" pit is 125' deep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:33 pm 

As far as I can tell you go 1000 feet north of finley and youll be on Tilcon quarry property, and the only shaft I can pinpoint is the brown shaft.

There is a small shaft about 50 feet north of finley, they fences to the 2 shafts actually create a tiny walkway between them.

yea thats a nasty collapse, and a huge hole. i didnt know it was 6 years old though..

Post subject: nameless pit
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:23 pm 

if you are at what you seem to be calling the finley shaft, walk back down to the road at Mt. Hope pond. Walk up the road 500 feet or so towards Picatinney. There is a trail going back into the woods on the right that leads directly to the "unnamed" pit in question. This pit is probably in the next parallel vein over from the "finley" shaft (which I think is just a subsidence).

This "unnamed" pit, or at least I can't get more than 2 people to call it the same thing, is -not- a subsidence feature, but actually has squared off walls 30' down and was definately manmade.

Here's a couple photos inside (look for the stuff called "iron mine") and the video at the bottom gives you a glimpse of the sinkhole and fencing...though with all those pits it's tough to get a wide shot.

http://www.batmanagement.com/Projects/2 ... /2004.html

anyway, some suggestions on the historic name of this pit would be helpful.

Thanks,
JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

John,

The shaft in which you are referring to is part of the Taylor Mine. The Taylor Mine worked the Taylor vein also known as the Jugular vein. The open workings you see to the northwest worked the vein from the surface.

Miner Greg

Post subject: taylor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:44 pm 

Thanks Greg,
Someone else referred to that as Taylor, so I think thank's what we'll go with unless something else compelling sprouts up.

JC