Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Peters mine dumping
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:07 am 

When you guys have been poking around the Peters Mine complex over the last few years, have you seen any indications of paint dumping in the remaining tunnels you explored? Particularly around the entrance to the 75' vertcial airshaft?

Thanks,
JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

John,

Which shaft are you referring to? The shaft which has the square concrete lined top?

Looking at the air shaft from the surface

Looking at the air shaft from below

I have seen no evidence of any dumping in this area of the mine. Because this portion of the mine was remote from the road and behind the resident's houses, I would presume that it would not have been convenient for Ford to use this area to dispose of their toxic waste. The trucks which were illegally dumping, could go in and out on the main road while dumping near and in the inclined shaft to the Peters Mine without much resistance to the local community.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

Also, after interviewing a few people including the Ramapough Indians, we learned that the main Peter's shaft was being filled for years while the water table in the mine was still very low and there was plenty of air space to fill -- remember that this shaft extends for a distance of approximately 3,000 feet through considerable stoping. It took many years for the mine to fill up with water naturally after the pumps were turned off. Trucks were coming in daily dumping toxic material right into the collar of the shaft during much of this time. I do not think they realized or cared that the water table would eventually rise to the surface of the valley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:33 pm 

we have a similar situation here. in pittston there is a drainage tunnel called the butler drainage tunnel. its very similar to the underwood tunnel on out site. anyways this guy owned a garage on top of the tunnel about 1/4 mile from the mouth on the river. so apparently in the 60s, he drove a borehole down into the tunnel and proceeded to dump all kinds of toxic chemicals from the nearby truckstop and friends business down it. water never drained out of it because of the old forge borehole keeps the mine pool well lower than this tunnel(same case as the underwood tunnel) so the toxins just kept building up. well during the flood of 72, it flowed again and all those toxins came out into the lackawanna river flowing into the susquehanna river. now they have a monitoring station there and 24 hr video camera on site and any time we get heavy rain there is still considerable ammounts of pollutents coming out of the tunnel portal. pretty crappy deal, it would have made a nice explorable tunnel if not for that bastard. it intersects the baltimore bed. which is wilkesbarres version of the big bed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:45 pm 

heres what they found in the water coming from the tunnel. im posting this before anyone says......... maybe theyre not that bad, maybe we can go though them........

ETHYLBENZENE
4-BROMOPHENYL PHENYL ETHER
TOLUENE
BIS(2-ETHYLHEXYL)PHTHALATE
DI-N-OCTYL PHTHALATE
DIMETHYL PHTHALATE
XYLENES
1,3-DICHLOROBENZENE
CARBON TETRACHLORIDE
CYANIDE
CHLOROFORM
BENZENE
METHYLENE CHLORIDE
DIETHYL PHTHALATE
OIL & GREASE

um.....no. we have some of these at the airport and they are nasty!

links to the story:

http://www.epa.gov/superfund/sites/npl/nar1414.htm
http://oaspub.epa.gov/enviro/cerclis_we ... D980508451

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:45 pm 

sorry to chance your topic, just stating that we have a similar problem, now proceed back to your rock holes boys.........