Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coal Mine Name
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:19 pm 

Many of my family resided in Blakely Township . As a child I remember visiting them. Up the street from my Aunts House on Lincoln Avenue was an active coal mine where many family members worked. Now I must say that this was in the late 1940's; a long time ago for some of you young underground miners. I do not know the name of this mine but perhaps some of you might.
It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:32 pm 

hey, and thanks for the question. it may have been the olyphant colliery. up from there on the hill was myles slope. that could have been it. also the johnson no. 1 colliery was there not too far away in blakely also. can you give me an approximate street address and i can check some old maps. then i can let you know for sure.

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:22 pm 

Chris, thank you for the prompt reply. The address was 1055 Lincoln Ave. Blakely. I also had relatives living at 203 Second Street and Main St. in Blakely. It was only a short walk up the Street; Lincoln that is, to the mine. I also remember the house next door to 1055 was a funeral parlor and I remember seeing the caskets through my aunts upstairs windows as you looked across to the second floor of the funeral parlor. Scary at the time for a young boy.You could see the entrance to the mine at the top of the street and I believe I was told it was a slope entrance. Not sure on this though . Our family lived there in that area since 1893 and they always worked the mines. Any additional information is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:37 pm 

sounds to me like myles slope. by ill check the maps next time im at the office of surface mining. might be a week or so, so check back soon. thanks

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:46 pm 

im not too sure on street names but how far up the hill is that from main ave?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:53 pm 

Chris, I have not been to Blakely in many a year (since the late '40s) and it is my intent to go there this year. The address on Lincoln Ave. that I gave you was a few short steps from the mine location as I remember walking up the street to it. As for Main St. and Second St. I imagine they were also within walking distance of the mine . I say this because the family lived there on arrival from England and I am sure that they walked to work. I wish I could be more specific. I understand that if we can identify that mine, that I would be able to have a copy made of it ,fo ra fee of course. That would be nice. By the way, I appreciate your efforts on my behalf. Happy New Year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:09 pm 

Chris, looked at a Yahoo Maps for 1005 Lincoln Ave. Blakely Twp. It runs right off Main St. and further up it is crossed by Second St. , The map shows Lincoln terminating ,along with other Blakely streets, at what would be the location of the Mine whose name we are seeking. Looking back on my posts, I gave you 1055 Lincoln instead of the correct 1005. Hope this Helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:30 pm 

You were correct Chris, it is Miles Slope.
Thanks