Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Horgan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:45 pm 

anyone find any good documentation on Horgan and how he took his underground photographs or the process that he used... id be terribly interested in finding out the process of preperation and follow-through for taking an underground coal mine picture circa 1928.

ive also been trying to duplicate the look in some of his photos using numerous photoshop filters and some actions that i wrote and its quite hard.. there not b/w... there not sepia.. there like b/w aged + halftone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:03 pm 

i always wondered how he got the good lighting.....

Post subject: horgan?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:18 pm 

ok this is about as Horgan as i could get w/ just 10 min of play ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:29 pm 

WOW! I can't believe it.......... you'd never know that was the coal mine tour unless you were realllly familiar with it... looks like a real horgan to me! could use a touch more brown coloring... but damn.. that's good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:30 pm 

actually... i don't know about the brown coloring part.... it looks good how it is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:22 am 
Site Admin

I don't know how mine photography was done specifically in Horgan's time but turn of the century HARD ROCK MINE photography was done by actually burning magnesium powder which gives off a lot of light and leaving the camera shutter open. I don't know that burning powder was the wisest thing to do in a coal mine atmosphere so I suppose it might have been done differently.

Miner Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

If you had a flame safety lamp to test the air BEFORE taking the picture, you would know that you are probably safe from LEL and coal dust. Also as Chris had stated, these mine locos with trolley wire sparks like crazy. Think of any of these electric trains with overhead wiring. They are always sparking, now think of a dirty damp coal mine with dust everywhere on everything. They probably sparked REALLY bad. So perhaps explosive mine gas isn't as bad of a problem as thought. It did happen in these mines, but conditions probably have to be right.

So far I have never detected LEL with the MSA Passport (although it was mostly released during blasting and there has been none in these mines in a long time)

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:15 pm 

Heres a brief history on some of Horgans work with the D&H.

Horgan began his association with the Delaware and Hudson Company in 1950. His major contracts though were with the companies subsidiary, the Hudson Coal Company. Horgan photographed for them during the years 1915, 1916, 1917, 1920, 21 and 23. By 1921 He had produced nearly seventeen hundred negatives of interests to the Hudson Coal Co. Many of those taken in the period 1915-17 were staged scenes in the mines to illustrate unsafe mining practices. These images were made in the period corresponding to the passage of Pennsylvania’s Workman’s compensation act of 1915. This was “rating the relative value of each hazard which goes to make up the total accident risks in a coal mine”. This was meant to improve safety in the coal mining industry. Horgans photographs offer evidence that Hudson Coal, in assessing the safety conditions of its operations, had considered a wide range of issues. Not limited to proper timbering and support methods for mine roofs, to preparation and maintenance of first-aid teams for rescue of injured mine workers. Furthermore, his images illustrate changes in mining technology, contemporary methods of mining, mine openings, drifts, tunnels, slopes, planes, shafts, all aspects of the miner’s work, machine mining and methods, a variety of underground occupations, transportation, electrification, pumping, timbering, ventilation, hazards, explosions, fires, surface operations, power houses, repair shops, colliery buildings and store houses, mine worker’s wash houses, and support facilities. These photographs allowed Hudson Coal to create an image of a well-equipped, properly managed company. His purpose was to do the best job possible with the use of light and camera positions, along with balanced composition, which was reminiscent of the generation of the golden age of photographers that immediately preceded him. Much of his work can be read and viewed in “The Story of Anthracite” which was put out by Hudson Coal in 1932 after Horgans death.

Doesnt tell of techniques but a nice history if i do say so myself, broke it down from a few pages of "Illustrating An Anthracite Era"

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:21 pm 

as for the explosion hazards, well on main haulage roads remember thats where the best ventilation was. there would have been quite a breeze through there, we forget about that cause we dont have any running fans, well except 190. so any explosive mixture would have dissapated mostly. thats why you really dont hear of a trolley pole setting off an explosion. mostly they would happen at the face, where methane would escape from the coal when blasted, mix with coal dust and then, you are set up for a deadly mixture! just thought that would bring some thinking.

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:09 am 

how many of those horgan pics do you figure were taken at or inside pine ridge chris?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:58 am 

in numbers we don't know, however, there are pics of the mountain mine openings and underground also, however where they were takin is now most likely flooded... but if you look at the old photos on the page theres one or 2 w underground pine ridge signs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:09 pm 

here you go:

http://www.undergroundminers.com/oldpics76.jpg

look at the sign and notice the #34 and #29 tunnels. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:02 am 

do you think that picture was taken in the tunnel at the bottom of the steps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:56 am 

no, i saw all of the horgan pics, and took note of all of them in the pine ridge folder and none of them looked familar except for the mountain mines openings. i recognized 3 of them. nothing underground though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:02 am 

nice pic frank!