Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:06 pm 
Thanks, but that's not my picture. It's from the Bradley mine slide show and was taken by Miner Mike. All I did was desaturate it and add several platinum filters to it to mimic the true platinum proccess. I think it came close, but it's not nearly as rich as Horgan's print. I would assume, if he was working in the 1920's, that he used electric flashbulbs along with some kind of a press or view camera. I seriously doubt that magnesium flashpowder would have been used, since it was becoming obsolete at the time. The explosive atmosphere of a working coal mine would also have to be taken into conideration.

The prevailing methods for lighting large interiors at that time
were painting with light and multiple flash. These are the same methods used today. I think that there is an unfair tendency these days to assume that photography was much more primitive back then. In truth, the basics of photography have not changed very much since the 1880s. Sure, new technology has been developed both in chemistry and computers, but the properties of light, and methods used to record it, remain constant.

Here is a photographer's description of a platinum print vs. a regular silver print:

Quote:
I recently attended the Alternative Process International Symposium in Santa Fe, where I saw a step test printed on both silver-based paper and platinum-coated paper. The comparison was remarkable--the platinum print had easily three stops more tonal range clearly delineated. Platinum is much more permanent than silver. Its only drawback is its slow speed, which allows only for contact printing.

Last edited by tom on Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:46 pm 
Haha...this thread sums it up completely:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11241

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:22 am 
OK, I think I hit on a procedure that comes pretty close. Here is one of my pictures converted to "platinum."

Let me know what you guys think. There are a few plugins that you would need to get this look. I can get them for you if you need them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:42 am 

Wow Frank that looks really good! We should make a special set of Horganized photos like that. I think people would enjoy viewing reproductions like this. I wanna take some more Then and Now photos from places on the surface where Horgan took photos of collierys and such and do comparasins of what they used to look like and what stands there now...... Unfortunatly most of the Horgan subject sites will be hard to even recognize, but it's still interesting to see. It would be cool to Horganize photos of places that have not been developed over yet, where really the only thing missing is the mine buildings. interesting........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:03 pm 

I finally picked up my own copy of "llustrating an American Anthracite Era." If pictures are truly worth a 1,000 words on average, I would suggest some of these are worth about 50,000.

Have any of you seen any prints from the rest of the Horgan D&H archive not included in the book?

The book has a great shot of an Erie boxcar (road name blocked out since it was a Hudson Coal Co. shot) in an Ottumwa Boxcar Loader. I have to reach out to the collections' caretakers to see if there are more boxcar loader pictures. It has become a pet project of mine to flesh out the a-coal in boxcar business.

Anyway, aside from the malaria, I wouldn't mind going back in time to walk in Horgan's shoes and get PAID to photograph things I like!

Rob Davis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:17 pm 

rob, did you notice these:

http://www.undergroundminers.com/oldpics.html

about 95% are horgan shots.

Last edited by Chris on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:43 pm 

Chris wrote:
rob, did you notice these:

http://www.undergroundminers.com/oldpics.htm

about 95% are horgan shots.

I forgot you had that page. "Icon" is right!
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:50 am 

Rob, when do we start working on the time machine!?!?