Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:09 am 

Its so much fun doing all this work down there because you can tell that the foreman and the other guys really apprciate us being down there to give them a hand, and the one thing I like is that it is some real work, You have to use some muscle! In the end I think it is really going to work out good for us and the tour, It's going to be awsome to have a new part that UGM helped to build and we can say that we helped do it, kinda makes you feel good on the inside, really sore but kinda good, haha well can't wait to go back next week, it shall be fun, just wish those iron guys would come out and break the rock up for us though!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm 

oh man am i sore. today we had our most productive day so far, and its funny cause we were down 2 guys. it was only howie, john, adam and i. we took out 6 cars of rock, muck, coal and rock. now we are making some serious progress since we are past the clay spill. now we are digging at mostly coal, dirt, rock, some clay and rotten wood. the gangway timbering has been advanvced a double set which is about 6 foot from the last set. today we advanced another 10 foot under the fore poling. we just need to clean it up a bit tomorrow and take out a few more car loads. have some pics but ill get them up with tomorrows. its looking great. also i went up the coal chute that has now been propped up and went to the face. its a nice little chute going about 50 feet up. theres a decent vein there but not too big. we are going to advance the gangway all the way to the end this year. we had our doubts but we are going to make it to the end. its going to be a great addition. so john and i were talking today of building a firebosses shanty right inside the gangway out of wood planking. so that should be cool! its probably going to take us till the tour starts to get the gangway cleaned out and retimbered so we are going to build the shanty and the coal chute while the tours are running. that will be real cool. we also have more ambitious plans for next years work session but we have to keep some ideas secret! till tomorrow.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:37 pm 

Alot of work completed today. we are up to the old timber set and have the entire floor cleaned up. real nice. next week we timber up to there and maybe by sunday we will start on the next spill! the face is just past that. we are 20 feet from the face now!

heres some progress from the past 3 weeks:

you can see the old timber set behind the mess.

getting closer......

closer......

there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:57 pm 

Lookin good guys 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:47 pm 

Even though that has to be back breaking work it has to be fun. Kinda Jeolous. Looks good keep it going.... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:23 pm 

Well, today, not only today, this past weekend was prolly one of the most productive weekends we had, we pushed the gangway al the way back to the next spill, tell you what its hard work, but so much fun, some people might think we're crazy but with every shovel full we take out of there we are opening up more history for some "everyday" people to see, and now we have the experience to stress to them how hard the work actually is and what our forefathers actually went through, and what scares me, I don't think we even scratched the surface yet because we are not drilling holes or blasting rock!! I invite anyone who would like, to come on our next tour to see what we have accomplished. pictures tell alot, but , to see how big the pile was and how steep the pitch is that we had to climb and take timbers up, I think you would appreciate it moreand now we have first hand experience to show, I think UGM and all others who are helping at pioneer tunnel to make it bigger and better than before deserve a job well done!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:35 pm 

Here Here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:32 pm 

nicely put adam, nicely done. i agree with everything adam said. on the tours i mention how the miners would take a prop and throw it up the pitch as they went. well as adam and i found there is no throwing a 70 pound 4 foot prop up a 70 degree pitch thats for sure! just climbing the chute is tough enough try doing it with that prop. and you took 10 for your shift! nuts. but the project we have going on now in the west orchard gangway is a blast. when howie first proposed the project and we pulled the planks off unvailing the gangway i was like........ uh yea how many are we...... 5? yea ok! well here we are, past the half way point and its just getting better and better. ill have all of this weekends pics on the ugm site tomorrow evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:37 pm 

oh yea, also if you look in the 3rd pic youll notice we added one timber set on a 5 foot center from the other 2 shots. this means we are putting the timber sets 5 feet apart and planking behind them. then we crib wood behind the planking up to the rib. (side of the gangway). in the last shot you can see in the gravel on each side where hitches for the next 2 timber sets are going to go on each side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:28 am 

Looking good in the pics, keep posting your progress!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:23 pm 

this weekend at pioneer we will be timbering the section of gangway we cleaned out. will have pics up on sunday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:08 am 

somehow i missed your latest updates-looks great. wish i was back that way-gotta be something i could help out with!

john

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:49 am 

maybe youll be in before the tour season starts :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:56 am 

also good to note is that we will be doing all timber work this weekend. this is good as we just got 2 feet of snow and ice dumped on us in places and i for one spent the last 2 days shoveling out our driveway as we broke the snowblower. it couldnt take the ice so we had to dig our way out with spade shovels. sucks. so im glad we arent shoveling this weekend :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:44 pm 

yeah i had my share of shoveling too......... but i didn't have ice like SmIzZoooo. HA! Forget the snowblower....... I want a mucker for the next storm!!! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next