Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:34 am 
Site Admin

Yes, that motor in that storage battery locomotive looks brand new! Look how clean the brushes look now!

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:19 am 

so tonight we had another genius breakthrough. adam is the one who actually gets all the credit. has to do with the sanders. i didnt give much thought to this when we got them free'd up but if you think about this it makes sense. so when you pulled on the handles all the sanders open. i was wondering why there was two handles but never gave it much thought. so adam mentioned, maybe they are supposed to move independent of each other. we thought about it for a bit and it makes sense, if you are going forward you only want to open the front sanders cause the back ones will be dumping sand on the track where you have been already not helping at all and wasting sand. this works the same way going in reverse also, you dont want to open the front sanders cause youll just dump it behind you. so after a little persuasion with a ford wrench........ hammer......... we got both free'd up and lubed. now both ends work seperate from each other and work flawlessly. we also got the sides ready for the new pompey coal logo on the side, different font and we are spraying it to reduce the bleed through. more work in the next few days. see ya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:50 pm 

and now she got her new lettering font and black wheels. looks much better. check the pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:41 pm 

got the seat made, covered and installed today. as well as installing new return springs for the sanders. guess thats all, more progress on the flat car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:43 pm 

Added some pics of the seat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:03 pm 

It looks different with the seat on it! really showing off its... softer side. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:11 pm 

youre such a dork :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:56 pm 

yo, banks and adam, spring is coming soon and with the work on the flat car and pioneer we kind of let finishing the motor go to the wayside. i have to get wood to cover up the bottom of the battery box then we can get all the batteries in and wired up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:36 am 

Yeah, time to finish the beast! theres really not THAT much left to do.... Wood, hook up batteries, then little details i guess like sandbox repairs. Time to get it rollin down the track again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:14 pm 

ok, so today after work banksey and i built the charging harness for the mine motor. up until now we were charging each battery individually. there are 8 - 24 volt batteries in it. for now we were only running on 4 in series. later we will hook up the other 4 in parallel to give more power and duration. but anyway, it took forever to charge each one by itself, so we made a harness to charge 4 at a time. the nice thing is its a slow charge now and each one gets the same ammount of current and charge rate.

now, all i need is the wood to mount them on, wire up the running harness, and have banksey finally finish up his headlight project :lol: then its off to the rail for the summer season!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:48 pm 

Well it shouldn't be too much of a problem after my little electronics lesson :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds good, should make a difference in charging as you don't have to charge them individually any longer. However as long as your charger puts out the amps to charge that many batteries...

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:18 pm 

it will do it, just slowly, maybe a day or 2. which is actually better for them than a fast shock charge every time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:21 pm 

well today we had an awsomely productive day, not only did we build the battery trays for the mine motor but we also finished the sides on the flat car, it is awsome looking, never thought it was going to look so good. the battery boxes are a perfect fit, everything went well except for my job which was the extraction of some rusty bolts that were broken off in the motor, one bolt I broke a drill bit off in, the other as i was drilling cocked off to the side and didn't go in straight, so we are just going to grind them flat the drill and tap new holes, but wait till you see the pictures of the flat car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:09 pm 

Today we got all the batteries wired up and after we found out the mine motor has an on board welder............... um...... well then it was ready to go. had a slight mis wire and made a welder out of the batteries! :lol: yea it has a nice arc mark on the one battery terminal now. so, we got all the batteries wired up permanently, no more jumper cables. i do have fork lift plugs to put on yet but i have to get new pins since the ones i got are the wrong size. that way i will be able to detach it simply by unplugging it. so heres the technical data:

batteries:

8 - 24 volt 45 amp hour aircraft batteries 4 of which are wired in series to give 96-100 volts and then those are paralleled to the other set of 4.

our run test was as follows today:

10 minute run on notch 2 out of 4.
voltage at start up: 99.1 volts.
motor start, voltage drop: 93.6 volts.
after the 10 minute run only a .5 volt drop in battery voltage brought us to 93.1 volts.
after a slight recovery period of 10 minutes the battery voltage was back up to 98 volts.

so in conclusion, in a ten minute run we only lost a half of a volt during the run and just over a volt in total voltage after a 10 minute recovery.

im only going to run the batteries down to a 20 percent loss. so once the battery voltage reaches near 80 volts we will recharge it. from this test it appears we will be able to run our mine motor for quite a duration on a single charge. maybe even get a shift out of it so we can haul some coal :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next